Safari quits when opening bookmarks

Reaction score
hi. I have a problem with my safari. It works fine until try to do anything with bookmarks. If I try to edit, open etc the bookmark file a the top it quits everytime. Please help! its so annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what version of mac os x are you using and what are your computers specs?

OP
F
Reaction score
hi. thankyou. im using os x version 10.3.9 G4 1GHz Power PC imac. does that make sense? hope you can help....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, it sounds like there may be a few possible problems, but I recommend re-blessing the home folder before further action. the way to do this is to go to mac hd> users> your user name>library> safari. take that safari folder out and drop it on the desktop or some other place, then open safari, it will automatically re create the folder, but safari will be like you first used it, no home page set as you had, no bookmarks, etc. then quit safari, afterward, take that folder and put it back from where you got it. safari created a new one, so you can either replace it, or take the contents from the one you moved and put them into the new folder created by safari. then open safari and see if it works, I am thinking it will, if not, post back and we will take more steps. :)

OP
F
Reaction score
hi there. sorry its been a few days, this did not solve my safari problem. unfortunately it is still quitting when i am trying to look at my bookmarks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see, there aren't many more things that can be done here, the next one should fix things, if not, safari will need reinstalling. now, that folder I mentioned in a previous post, move it to another place on your hd, then open safari and click Safari>Reset Safari. doing this should reset it as if it were brand new, then take the folders contents(you really only need the bookmarks.plist file) that you moved and put them into the Safari folder that is now where you moved that folder from. if this doesn't work, the safari application is most likely corrupt, you can reinstall just the app using an app called pacifist, but we can go over that if its needed. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.