Advice please on Time Machine backups

Reaction score
Hi
I've just bought a new Macbook Pro, to replace an existing 2011 model.
I've been using a Buffalo MiniStation as an external drive for Time Machine backups.
Now that I'm using a new Macbook, which is up & running, can I delete the existing backup by moving the backup files on the drive to Trash, plug into the new Macbook and start with a fresh backup?
Or is there a better way of doing this?
Hope this makes sense, and thanks.
:|

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you no longer need the old backups from the Time Machine drive the best way to do this is as follows:

Attach the drive to your new MacBook Pro, open Disk Utility, and erase the drive. The format should remain the same - HFS+. Now you can start over with Time Machine on your new MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
I agree, start a new Time Machine

If you no longer need the old backups from the Time Machine drive the best way to do this is as follows:

Attach the drive to your new MacBook Pro, open Disk Utility, and erase the drive. The format should remain the same - HFS+. Now you can start over with Time Machine on your new MacBook Pro.

I agree, it's better to erase the old Time Machine image and just start again. Also, in my experience Time Machine becomes very flakey with large files (ie those that take a long time to write/read), so consider excluding your movie collection from the TM image and back it up somewhere else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.