Can't restore an used iPhone 4S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
Good evenin' people!

I bought recently an used iPhone 4S and the owner gave it to me "restored". So I picked language and all the basic stuff before using it.

The catch is... it didn't let me log into my own App Store account. It says that "there are too many accounts already" and no matter how much I restore it: I can't get it to work.

Someone told me (recently) that I can't use it, that I have to ask the original owner for his ID in order to switch. I call "lies" and come here to ask... because if I need to do that: I'm going to return this freaking phone to his original owner for a refund.

It can't be possible that he can't relinquish the phone he doesn't want anymore just because of some stupid single-user lock policy. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is the app store message saying you already have too many devices associated with your Apple ID? There is a limit of 10 devices you can authorize with your ID. Computers, iPads, iPhones, iPods. You might have to unauthorize one device in order to make app (and iTunes) purchases on the iPhone.

OP
MacLovin85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
There is a limit of 10 devices you can authorize with your ID.

Thanks for the speedy answer!

The account is new and I made it through the phone. I can't recall using my old account on more than two or three devices and also bounces out with the same error message.

How can I set this option you're telling me? I might as well give it a spin. O:)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Is the device running iOS 7?

iOS 7 has a security feature built-in which would stop you configuring it as a new device if the seller hasn't unlocked it first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is the device running iOS 7?

iOS 7 has a security feature built-in which would stop you configuring it as a new device if the seller hasn't unlocked it first.

That's the nail on the head right there.

If it had iOS7 on the previous owner needs to dis-associate that device with his/her iCloud account.

Ask the previous owner to log into iCloud.com/find - from there select Erase - then Remove from account

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.