Looking for advice on inexpensive router

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for recommendations on a cheap, wifi router. Ideally, I want to pay $35 or less and a used router is fine.

I don't want to pay more because my needs are minimal. The only two computers/devices I own are an IMac (purchased in late 2007) and an IPod Touch 4G (purchased last year). Currently, my ethernet cable is hooked directly from my cable modem into the IMac, but I want to set up wifi so the IPod Touch is also connected to the internet.

My apartment is also small and so I won't be using the IPod Touch more than approximately ten or so feet from the router.

Last year, after I bought the IPod Touch, I bought a used, saucer-shaped Airport Extreme Base Station on ebay for cheap. It's model # M8799LL/A. It was so old that it didn't work with the latest version of Airport Utility (I am running Mountain Lion on my IMac). But I was able to download and install an older version of Airport Utility that did work with it.

I did get wifi working using that router. However, the wifi connection was not reliable. It would die, usually after a week or so, and I'd have to reset it and rerun Airport Utility. Finally, I got fed up and decided to abandon having a wifi network and I plugged the ethernet cable back into my IMac again.

However, I've decided to try again and find a better, but still inexpensive, router. So, I'm looking for recommendations. I have seen some other Airport Extremes on ebay for around $30. Most of them in that price range seem to be model # MA073LLA, which may be the model that came out after the M8799LLA. Does anyone know if MA073LLA is more reliable than the older M8799LL/A?

I'm also considering getting a non-Apple router, but I know they aren't as easy to configure, since they won't work with Airport Utility. I am considering a Netgear N150 WNR1000, which is $30 new at Staples, and only $13 used/refurbished on ebay. But I looked through the PDF manual and setting it up seems confusing. And I've read mixed reviews of Netgear support, whom I might need to contact if I have trouble.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here can provide some advice: should I get the slightly newer Airport Extreme? Should I buy the Netgear or is there another non-Apple router that makes more sense?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would suggest Amazon and read the buyer reviews to make sure it isn't too difficult to set up. Most are pretty easy these days to configure. One thing you really should require from your router is WPA or WPA2, but I'm pretty sure any new router will have that.

OP
S
Reaction score
MymacROX, thanks for the reply.

I have done some research on Amazon. The problem is that, for most routers, at least the cheaper ones, there are reviewers saying that the wifi connection dies after a while and the router has to be reset. That's the exact problem I was having with the old Airport Extreme Base Station. So, I haven't been convinced yet of the reliability of any specific, inexpensive, non-Apple models. The reviews of the Apple routers, at least the ones newer than the old model I have, don't seem to have as manypeople complaining about unreliability; that's why I am thinking of trying to find another Apple router.

But I have been thinking of the Negear N150 because it's cheap and so if I can't get it working then I'm only out a small amount of money.

But, I'm a bit confused by the Amazon reviews, which is why I thought I'd post here, on a Mac forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, I personally have a D-link router (DIR 628) and it's been going for 5 yrs now with no problems. Never had to reset it.

Most electronics stores carry that brand. Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
MYMac, thanks. I'll look into the DIR 628.

It may be out of production.
I got a DLink N+ (dir 655) and they no longer make this model as well..

Cant say I paid 35 USD for this one, it was closer to 80. But it has long range and is fairly quick.

You should be able to get a G router for about 35 or 40 USD. But expect it to be slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.