Plugin or way to reduce some photos size in iPhoto

Reaction score
I have tons of pictures in iPhoto that are old or just from my iPhone etc where they are 3.6Mb but are just of random things that I'd never ever print, that could be way smaller. Are there any plugins or ways to reduce the file size of these from iPhoto? I know my library would be way smaller.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use Preview since you should already have a copy of it on your Mac.

OP
E
Reaction score
I do have Preview but the problem is the pictures in iPhoto are old, like some albums I uploaded a year ago etc. When I browse them I was noticing that one "iPhone Pictures 2011" has TONS of random pictures just like out with friends etc, or where I'd take a picture of something funny in a store to send to a friend etc. Rather not delete it but it will show they are like 3MB, so just was looking for a way right in iPhoto to click it and say like resize or whatever is all.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I do have Preview but the problem is the pictures in iPhoto are old, like some albums I uploaded a year ago etc. When I browse them I was noticing that one "iPhone Pictures 2011" has TONS of random pictures just like out with friends etc, or where I'd take a picture of something funny in a store to send to a friend etc. Rather not delete it but it will show they are like 3MB, so just was looking for a way right in iPhoto to click it and say like resize or whatever is all.

Haven't tried this in iPhoto (since I no longer use it) but it works for Aperture, just takes a few steps.

1) Select the photos you want to resize
2) Choose Export from the Menu
3) Under options you should be able to resize, I generally go with 1/2 size
4) Export to a Folder
5) Drag the Folder onto iPhoto and re-import
6) Once you are satisfied all is well with your photos you can trash the original iPhoto Event

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.