Ughh..iBook troubles again!

I

iDVFH.

Yeah..my iBook G4 started making humming sounds yesterday morning..when I went to log on it wouldn't load..Turned it off, and the Apple logo would come up and loading symbol would come on but it wouldn't go through..blah blah blah blah..turns out my hard drive isn't being recognized..not sure if that's the REAL problem but I'm sending it out to Apple once the box comes in the mail..anyone know what it might be? Also, with one of my numerous attempts to make it work I also got a KernalPop..I'm having a lovely weekend so far..and on top of that we're getting a blizzard lol..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
gumming and clicking sounds are signs of the the hd going, do you have our hd backed up onto an external bootable drive? depending on how hardware savvy you are, you can either take it to apple or your local mac shop, or buy another laptop hd, same size or larger and do it yourself, though if its still under warranty, that would void the warranty, so if it is still covered, ship it to apple.
I assume you mean you got a kernal panic, what were you doing to make the mac boot when that happened?

OP
I

iDVFH.

oh boy..i had a feeling someone was going to say that..okay..after i posted that from my friends computer i went home and tried to power it on once again..and it worked! but it is still making that sound often..also..it's EXTREMELY hot..where I need to turn it off..oh no..I don't have a back-up drive..any way I can put my files on my iPod? We had a horrible blizzard here this weekend so the box didn't get shipped to me yet..26 inches in 24 hours!..so it should be here tomorrow..sorry for using the wrong Mac lingo lol..I know any part of a computer can go at any time..but is there a more than likely reaosn my HD is going even though it's only been a year?

EDIT: to answer the question about what I was doing when the kernal panic happened: I was just turning it on..this happens to be my 3rd or 4th kernal panic since I got this computer..also..for the past few months before this problem, my screen has been going black ( just an illuminated black screen)..was that also an indication that my HD was going..or is that most likely a completely different problem? Thanks-DV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if your ipod will mount, and is either bigger than your ibooks internal hd or is bigger than the files on your internal, you can use a backup app like carbon copy cloner or super duper to backup all of your things to your ipod. if this isn't going to work, and you have another mac around with a firewire port, you could try using firewire disk mode and either dragging the files to the host mac or straight to the ipod, or backup using an app like I already mentioned and backing up to your ipod,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.