iBooks on Mavericks only syncs purchased books?

Reaction score
Are my findings correct, that iBooks for Mavericks only syncs purchased books? I have been anticipating iBooks on Mavericks for months, thinking I'm going to sync my PDF files between devices. I have menus, recipes, manuals, work related material, etc, all in PDF format. And now I find that none of these will sync at all? At least with iTunes I could copy a PDF to my iTunes library, and then when I synchronized with other devices, the PDF would be copied. Now I can't even do that!

I should have expected as much from Apple. At least with kindle you can download PDF files from the cloud to all of your devices!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Don't know what your talking about ?? iBooks can sync my deDRMed and imported books as well as native iBooks, and all my .pdf's i have in my Books Library in iTunes. What ever i have on my iPad Mini, i have on my Mac iBooks, via iCloud, and then all the PDF's i have in iTunes under Books, also come up in iBooks.

I really don't know what your doing wrong, but what you say isn't so. I even have my Amazon Books in there as you can see in the Top Left of the image. (Don't judge me, it was free) The D7000 is a PDF so they are there too.

PS : Just went to my Books in iTunes and i clicked on it, and said ALL my books have been moved to iBook for Mac, so they are no longer in iTunes. BUT if you had ALL your Books in the Books section in iTunes, they WILL show in iBooks for Mac

Screenshot 2013-10-24 11.01.34.jpeg

OP
Z
Reaction score
Don't know what your talking about ?? iBooks can sync my deDRMed and imported books as well as native iBooks, and all my .pdf's i have in my Books Library in iTunes. What ever i have on my iPad Mini, i have on my Mac iBooks, via iCloud, and then all the PDF's i have in iTunes under Books, also come up in iBooks.

I really don't know what your doing wrong, but what you say isn't so. I even have my Amazon Books in there as you can see in the Top Left of the image. (Don't judge me, it was free) The D7000 is a PDF so they are there too.

I'm not doing anything wrong, you're not understanding the issue. iBooks did pull all of my books from iTunes on my iMac. After which opening iTunes, the "Books" section is gone under Library. But I've found you can still sync PDF's from iTunes to your iPhone and iPad using iTunes, as was the case before iBooks for Mac. Not as automated as a cloud solution for PDF's, but it's something. I was hoping that all of my PDF's would be sync'd to iBooks on my MacBook Pro as well, but there is no sync between iBooks on the Macs. Only purchased books were sync'd to my Macbook from the cloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ahh i see, well that where DropBox or something similar will come into play, then Open in iBooks. To be honest, this is how i have got all my pdf's to iBooks on my iPad Mini anyway. I have never synced them via iTunes at all.
DropBox, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Box or whatever cloud based system you use. Its easy and very quick.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ahh i see, well that where DropBox or something similar will come into play, then Open in iBooks. To be honest, this is how i have got all my pdf's to iBooks on my iPad Mini anyway. I have never synced them via iTunes at all.
DropBox, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Box or whatever cloud based system you use. Its easy and very quick.

Yes thanks for your suggestion, you can do that with cloud drives. But I have scripts which copy PDF's to my iTunes library (and my wife's), and some other techniques I use. Once in iTunes, the PDF will sync with my iPhone and iPad, and I'm hoping iBooks on my iMac.

As for iBooks on my Macbook, I can just drag and drop the PDF's, but that's not very convenient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes thanks for your suggestion, you can do that with cloud drives. But I have scripts which copy PDF's to my iTunes library (and my wife's), and some other techniques I use. Once in iTunes, the PDF will sync with my iPhone and iPad, and I'm hoping iBooks on my iMac.

As for iBooks on my Macbook, I can just drag and drop the PDF's, but that's not very convenient.

Well if your scripts put your pdfs to iBooks on your iPad via iTunes, then i can see no problem you getting them to iBooks on your Mac if you have iCloud set up.
But I'm honestly confused at why this is a problem for you, because if they are on your Mac already, then your trying to sync them to iBooks on your iPad and iPhone, then using the iCloud to get them back to your Mac and in iBooks, and then when you click on a PDF in iBooks for Mac it brings it up in Preview, so why Sync in the first place. Why not leave the pdf's on your Mac double click and then they are opened with Preview.
And to get them to your iPad and iPhone make a script to put them in iBooks and they will sync with them.
Apple once again gets the blame for doing something, when all they have done, is changed how things are done, and it just means learning the new way of doing it.
So instead of the script to iTunes, drag them to or make a script to put them in the iBooks library and your done.

I can't see how its Apple fault. you said in the first post
I should have expected as much from Apple. At least with kindle you can download PDF files from the cloud to all of your devices!
. Now how do you get them into the cloud for your Kindle ?? You can still get your PDF's into the iCloud, but it is just done a different way now. Think Different :)

PS : Under iBooks>File there is Add to this Library, it has a drop down like any looking for a File/Folder/Document, you choose your PDF's and you can do it that way. Make a script to put ALL PDF's into one folder then you only have to choose 1 folder or Select All

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well if your scripts put your pdfs to iBooks on your iPad via iTunes, then i can see no problem you getting them to iBooks on your Mac if you have iCloud set up.
But I'm honestly confused at why this is a problem for you, because if they are on your Mac already, then your trying to sync them to iBooks on your iPad and iPhone, then using the iCloud to get them back to your Mac and in iBooks, and then when you click on a PDF in iBooks for Mac it brings it up in Preview, so why Sync in the first place. Why not leave the pdf's on your Mac double click and then they are opened with Preview.
And to get them to your iPad and iPhone make a script to put them in iBooks and they will sync with them.
Apple once again gets the blame for doing something, when all they have done, is changed how things are done, and it just means learning the new way of doing it.
So instead of the script to iTunes, drag them to or make a script to put them in the iBooks library and your done.

I can't see how its Apple fault. you said in the first post . Now how do you get them into the cloud for your Kindle ?? You can still get your PDF's into the iCloud, but it is just done a different way now. Think Different :)

PS : Under iBooks>File there is Add to this Library, it has a drop down like any looking for a File/Folder/Document, you choose your PDF's and you can do it that way. Make a script to put ALL PDF's into one folder then you only have to choose 1 folder or Select All

No that's the problem, PDF files are never in the cloud. Using iTunes, you could copy a PDF to the "Automatically add to iTunes directory", then sync your iDevice. But now you cannot see The PDFs in iTunes. The "Books" section under Library is removed.

And scripts are not the only way I add PDF's. I might open a PDF on my iPhone, open it in iBooks on the iPhone, then how does that sync to your other devices? Not having a cloud based solution for PDF's is inconvenient!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Aside from trying out iBooks when it first came out and have never opened it again.

Yet another example of why I have stayed with the Kindle app which is available on every commercial OS.

Tried it last night - there might be a way - but, I didn't find a way to move a pdf that has been added to iBooks via iOS back to a computer via syncing.
Didn't try real hard since iBooks still is not available except in 2 OSs.

Don't know about anyone else, but while I can't foresee myself going back to the dark side as my primary computing platform, I basically swore off hardware that wasn't multi-OS capable while trying Linux and especially after my first Mac (when I had to replace the 6 month old printer I had sitting on the desk). That has propagated itself over to a whole lot of software. For sure all software that permits me to use my purchased content like movies, TV shows, music and books; must be available at a minimum in Windows, OS X, iOS and Android or they just can't have my money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
I am completely confused as well. I don't have a clue now how to transfer my .pdf files from my iMac to my iPad. I'm starting to think Apple was purchased by the morons who run Flickr. They totally messed that site up and now Apple is making my brain hurt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
I have a similar problem. Before iBooks it was possible to manually import pdf's onto the iPad and iPad mini using the books folder in iTunes. Now that folder has moved to the front screen of the device in iTunes. Trying to sync manually you get a nasty message about deleting all files on the device.
Just been experimenting and it is possible to drag the pdf's from the local directory directly into the books folder of the device in iTunes.

Hope this helps

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
One possible option is to use Goodreader (iOS APP). It has an iCloud sync option. And, you can always choose to open PDFs from Goodrader in iBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are my findings correct, that iBooks for Mavericks only syncs purchased books? I have been anticipating iBooks on Mavericks for months, thinking I'm going to sync my PDF files between devices. I have menus, recipes, manuals, work related material, etc, all in PDF format. And now I find that none of these will sync at all? At least with iTunes I could copy a PDF to my iTunes library, and then when I synchronized with other devices, the PDF would be copied. Now I can't even do that!

What i have found and you can STILL do is you CAN sync your PDF's to any iOS device via iTunes. All you need to do is to now Drag them, or use Shift+Command+O and Add to Library, and once your PDF is in the iBooks Library, goto iTunes then Click on your Device then goto Book across the top Menu Bar and select Sync Book>All Book/Selected Books and in those book are your PDF's.
It still works but you just can't use the Script you used to use, unless it does ?? The Script ones can now be used to goto the iBook Library and then Drag or Add To Library and goto iTunes and do what you have always done. All it has done, has taken it from iTunes and put it in iBooks.

I just did this and works fine :)

OP
Z
Reaction score
What i have found and you can STILL do is you CAN sync your PDF's to any iOS device via iTunes. All you need to do is to now Drag them, or use Shift+Command+O and Add to Library, and once your PDF is in the iBooks Library, goto iTunes then Click on your Device then goto Book across the top Menu Bar and select Sync Book>All Book/Selected Books and in those book are your PDF's.
It still works but you just can't use the Script you used to use, unless it does ?? The Script ones can now be used to goto the iBook Library and then Drag or Add To Library and goto iTunes and do what you have always done. All it has done, has taken it from iTunes and put it in iBooks.

I just did this and works fine :)

I thought this worked for me once, but last night I tried this numerous times with several different PDF's, and the PDF never synchronized from iTunes to my iPhone. I'm tired of trying to get this non-intuitive iBooks piece of junk to work. iBooks for the Mac is really half-baked, you can't even read a PDF in it! It just opens it in the Preview app.

Instead, I just updated the kindle app on my iPhone running iOS 7 (Which is another story). The new kindle app supports collections, which it had not in the past. They actually listened to their customers, unlike Apple. The kindle app is far superior to iBooks, and there's also the "Send to Kindle" app for the Mac. It's MUCH easier to sync PDF files between devices and Macs. With the Kindle app you can:

1. Point the content directory on multiple Macs to a dropbox or google drive, then just drop your PDF's in that drive and they are instantly available on ALL Macs!

2. Drag and drop a PDF onto the "Send to Kindle" app to easily transfer them to my iPhone, iPads, and Nook.

3. From the kindle management web app, I can send content to all my devices.

4. From the print menu in any application, I can send PDF files to any of my iDevices via email.

5. From Finder, simply control-click on one or more documents and choose Send to Kindle.

6. I have scripts which emails PDF's to any of my devices.

I've been waiting for iBooks on the Mac for months, and it sucks compared to Kindle!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
I also used to drop my pdf's into itunes then sync and i had them on my iphone. Now with Mavericks it cant be done anymore.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I also used to drop my pdf's into itunes then sync and i had them on my iphone. Now with Mavericks it cant be done anymore.

Actually, you can load the PDF into iBooks for on Maverick, then then sync your iPhone. Ensure you have your iPhone set to sync all books. It should then sync from iBooks to your iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
Actually, you can load the PDF into iBooks for on Maverick, then then sync your iPhone. Ensure you have your iPhone set to sync all books. It should then sync from iBooks to your iPhone.

I have the pdf in iBooks with some other books.
I dont see a setting on my iPhone for sync all books but I have that set in iTunes on my iMac.
I did a wifi sync and my pdf still wont go onto my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a work around i found, if you don't use DropBox ~ Open In . . . .

Firstly ensure that you can see your iPad (or iPhone/iPod) in iTunes as an available device. Now from the Finder locate the folder which contains the books (pdf's) that you want to copy to the device and drag and drop the file from that location onto the device in iTunes. The device should hi-light when you drag the file over it. Once the device highlights and + icon appears below the title(s) you are copying release the mouse button and the books will then be copied to the device.

Care of JamieD in the Aust Macworld forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a work around i found, if you don't use DropBox ~ Open In . . . .

Firstly ensure that you can see your iPad (or iPhone/iPod) in iTunes as an available device. Now from the Finder locate the folder which contains the books (pdf's) that you want to copy to the device and drag and drop the file from that location onto the device in iTunes. The device should hi-light when you drag the file over it. Once the device highlights and + icon appears below the title(s) you are copying release the mouse button and the books will then be copied to the device.

When I try to drag it into itunes it wont let me drop it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.