iBooks on Mavericks only syncs purchased books?

OP
Z
Reaction score
I have the pdf in iBooks with some other books.
I dont see a setting on my iPhone for sync all books but I have that set in iTunes on my iMac.
I did a wifi sync and my pdf still wont go onto my iPhone.

Let me clarify -- Drag and drop the PDF into iBooks, then in iTunes, select the iPhone, then select Books, then ensure sync all books is checked. Then sync and the PDF should be sync'd to your iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
The problem is since i upgraded to mavericks itunes looks different and wont let me drag pdf's into it.

OP
Z
Reaction score
The problem is since i upgraded to mavericks itunes looks different and wont let me drag pdf's into it.

The point is you don't need to drag them to iTunes, drag them to iBooks, ensure our iPhone in iTunes is configured to sync books, then sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes it is.

This was from another member in another forum and i just tried it and it doesn't work for me either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
The point is you don't need to drag them to iTunes, drag them to iBooks, ensure our iPhone in iTunes is configured to sync books, then sync.

It is in iBooks.
It is configured to sync books in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

This is OK if you want to sync your iDevice, as like me, i haven't done a sync since god knows when. I like to manually control everything and the work around above and the Options to have checked and not checked below is a work around.

When I try to drag it into itunes it wont let me drop it in.

This is from JamieD and how it works for him, and i just confirmed it, and this seems like the easiest way, So . . . .

Firstly ensure that you can see your iPad (or iPhone/iPod) in iTunes as an available device. Now from the Finder locate the folder which contains the books (pdf's) that you want to copy to the device and drag and drop the file from that location onto the device in iTunes. The device should hi-light when you drag the file over it. Once the device highlights and + icon appears below the title(s) you are copying release the mouse button and the books will then be copied to the device.

Hmmm that's odd TM as it works fine for me on both our iPad and my iPhone, one thing that I do have set up on both devices is that under the summary tab I have the "Manually manage music and videos" option checked as well as this under the "Books" section for the device the "Sync Books" option is not checked, which may be why this works for me. I never have anything Sync automatically as I prefer to manage what is on each device manually

Hope that explains it a little better :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So its done different now. I dragged the pdf from my desktop to iTunes 'on this iphone' section and it dropped in then processed right over to my phone.

Reaction score
you can still synchronize pdfs and other ebooks you did not purchase from the ibooks store.

It's just a bit hidden, you don't synchronize form ibooks for mac but from iTunes as before.

You do not have the books link on the left anymore, so do the following:
  1. Click on the device (iPad or iPhone).
  2. Select the books tab
  3. all your books are there, select "sync books" and then either all the books or selected one.
  4. you are done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought to myself, bugger this, if i want to read a .pdf on my Mac, the sort that I'm using in iBooks, i really want the full experience in the iBooks Reader and not Preview and i don't want to read them in .pdf format on my iPad Mini either, so, i went and downloaded calibre - Download for OS X which i did once before a long time ago, and back then couldn't seem to work it out, but now, i have just Batch Converted 5 50mb+ PDF's into ePub Format with Covers and now i can read them as if they are a book instead of a boring .pdf.

Calibre now works well and easy to use. I basically opened it up, then in the Menu bar, picked "Add Books" and added my 5 .pdf's, and then selected them all by Highlighting them, then back to the Menu Bar, and selected "Convert Books" and Bulk Convert, and went and wrote a couple posts in a forum and 10mins later it was done.
So this is another way to do it, and have them in a book format, which is so much better to read then a PDF :)

KIw0CIu.jpg

C

chas_m

I'm not having any problem with PDFs syncing in iBooks 1.0.1. I can't remember now if I had to re-add the PDFs and non-iBooks e-books into the iBooks program or not, but they're all there now and they sync to my iPad and iPhone just like they always did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not having any problem with PDFs syncing in iBooks 1.0.1. I can't remember now if I had to re-add the PDFs and non-iBooks e-books into the iBooks program or not, but they're all there now and they sync to my iPad and iPhone just like they always did.

One thing i think people found confusing, OR didnt find at all, was under iBooks>File>Move Books From iTunes being that last part, Move book's.
I found once i did that, then all books where in iBooks and then synced OK. I only found it by looking around, tried it out, and it hit a home run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.