Upgrading from leopard to mavericks

Reaction score
Ok. so my brother has snow leopard, and I have mountain lion. If my brother upgrades from leopard to mavericks, will all of the stuff he didn't get from mountain lion add onto mavericks? Like if he updated from leopard to maverick and I updated from mountain lion to mavericks, Would we have the same software? Or would you have to download mountain lion first and then mavericks to have everything? Do you know what I mean?
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok. so my brother has snow leopard, and I have mountain lion. If my brother upgrades from leopard to mavericks...

According to your post...your brother has Snow Leopard not "Leopard".

Leopard = OS 10.5
Snow Leopard = OS 10.6

So does your brother have Leopard or Snow Leopard installed currently?

Secondly...what exact model Macintosh computer does your brother have? It may not even be capable of running Mavericks.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
  1. he has a 2010 macbook pro, with snow leopard 10.5 installed. I'm just wondering, if he upgrades from snow leopard to mavericks, will he also get everything that was included in mountain lion because he would go from snow leopard to mavericks and be skipping mountain lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still wrong.

Leopard is OS X.5 and Snow Leopard is OS X.6. If his MBP is capable of running Mavericks and he has OS X.6.8 and an Apple ID, he will have all he needs in the update.

OP
C
Reaction score
Nobody is answering my question, the Question is
If he is running snow leopard, and goes right to maverick, skipping mountain lion, is everything that he would've gotten from mountain lion also included in maverick? Or must you download mountain lion and then maverick to get everything included?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nobody is answering my question...

What you don't understand is...you have mentioned that your brother is running Leopard, Snow Leopard...and OS 10.5. We NEED to know if this computer in question is running OS 10.5 or 10.6?

If it is running 10.5...then you/he will not be able to download anything. Because in order to do any OS downloading...you need at least OS 10.6.6 installed to have the "Mac App Store".

No "Mac App Store" = no OS downloading.

- Nick

p.s.
...with snow leopard 10.5 installed.

Snow Leopard is NOT OS 10.5!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, yes it is snow leopard, and I'm 95% sure it is at 10.6.6 or above

Ok...assuming this...I must mention one thing. When Apple releases a new OS upgrade...usually most features remain...and sometimes some features may disappear.

So when you ask..."If Mavericks is downloaded/upgraded to directly...will it contain everything from Mountain Lion?" My answer is...most likely most of the features from Mountain Lion will still be part of Mavericks. But there is always the small possibility that some features from Mountain Lion may have been replaced with newer features from Mavericks.

In your brother's case (since his computer is running Snow Leopard). Since he never had Mountain Lion installed...he would not miss any Mountain Lion specific features...since he never had it installed.

HTH,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Whether you upgrade a machine from Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion to Mavericks...

None of then will any longer have Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion.
It will be running Mavericks.

Anything that one of those prior operating systems have that is not in Mavericks will be gone upon upgrading to Mavericks.

Everything that is in Mavericks will be there no matter which of the prior operating systems the computer was running ("assuming" all hardware is compatible with all options).

There is no need (nor any reason) to do incremental upgrades to the OS. If you're going to install Mavericks, then install Mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Again he will have all he needs in the Mavericks upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.