Help with MacBook Pro options

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im new here but a mac user since 2008 when i bought my MacBook Pro 17 inch. The machine is still fine but i find it sluggish now and just fancy upgrading after so long.

Id like to add that I always go for the top specs on any machine so at least im sorta futrue proofed as far as poss.

A little advice would be appreciated. Im in the UK and looking at ordering online I can upgrade the processor to 2.6 from 2.3 for £200 more.

Is this really worth it ? Not really big into games

Will the 2.6 chip consume more battery ?

Should I instead use the difference and buy apple care instead

Also I dont have the option to upgrade the RAM. Any one know why ?

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're looking at the new line of MacBook Pros that were just announced by Apple, none of them are upgradeable as far as the memory is concerned. And you'll notice that they're all retina display models. The only MacBook Pro which can be upgraded is the older 13" model non retina.

The top of the line MacBook Pro 15" model which sells for $2599.00 here in the US comes with 16 GB of built in memory and a 512 GB Flash Drive. It also sports dual graphic processors. (It's the only model that has two GPUs) Apple Care is a must for any of the new models.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Id like to add that I always go for the top specs on any machine so at least im sorta futrue proofed as far as poss.

A little advice would be appreciated. Im in the UK and looking at ordering online I can upgrade the processor to 2.6 from 2.3 for £200 more.

Is this really worth it ?

If you "always go for the top specs" (as you mentioned above)...why are you asking the question "Is it really worth it?"??;)

If the logic is to "future proof as far as possible" (like you also mentioned above). Haven't you answered your own question?:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
What I'm really asking is it worth paying the extra for the faster chip. Would I really notice that much of a difference

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would I really notice that much of a difference

No. In my opinion, the extra £ for the faster CPU is not worth it. Save your £ for Apple Care which is a must for the new MacBook Pros.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What I'm really asking is it worth paying the extra for the faster chip. Would I really notice that much of a difference

I 100% knew what you were asking.;) But by asking that question...you're going against your own previous purchasing logic of always going for the top end model (to future proof the computer as much as you can).

I agree with chscag...you probably won't notice much of a difference with the faster cpu...and the money saved could go towards purchasing extended Applecare.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.