Ubuntu vm has no internet since Mavericks upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Solved - Ubuntu vm has no internet since Mavericks upgrade

The network icon appears normally and says it's connected but neither the browser or the update utility can connect to anything.
I'm using VMWare Fusion 5.0.3 and yesterday upgraded ML to Mavericks.
Connection was fine yesterday but today it's not :[
It must be Mavericks related but I don't know why.
Any ideas please?
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My understanding is that VMWare Fusion will not work correctly with Mavericks until you upgrade your version 5 to 6. Please check with the VMWare Fusion forums for more info regarding the upgrade and pricing.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Thanks chscag, I suspected this and looked on VMWare support for further info. Basically they seem to say try it and see. In fact there are problems with Mavericks and VMWare Fusion 6.
I've tried deleting the Ubuntu vm and installing fresh but there's still no internet available.
If they think I'm going to spend another £40 or so because OSX has been upgraded they're mistaken.
No free update = no VMWare Fusion for me :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried the free VirtualBox from Oracle? However, I don't know if it will work OK with Mavericks although it does work with Mountain Lion.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
I'm having a look now although it does seem there may be a cpu recognition problem. I'll have a mooch around :)
Cheers chscag.

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Ubuntu 13.10 is working fine in VirtualBox :)
A few settings needed changing.
The only oddity is that I have to hold the pointer just a little below whatever I want to click on, which is strange.
Apart from that it's fine in Mavericks :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm using VMware Fusion 5.0.3 and just upgraded to Mavericks. My Ubuntu 12.04 VM is fine as far as connectivity and other aspects are concerned.

I'll hold off on upgrading until VMWare Fusion is included in another Mac bundle..:)

OP
MacDuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
An update
My network connection was switched to share with mac. I set it to auto detect and now it works fine.
I don't know what it was set to before but I'm wondering if it was changed by the upgrade to Mavericks?
So now I've got a VirtualBox Ubuntu vm and a VMWare Fusion vm. I'll see which one performs best :)

edit
what's yours set to Raz0rEdge please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Virtual Box & Mavericks

Have you tried the free VirtualBox from Oracle? However, I don't know if it will work OK with Mavericks although it does work with Mountain Lion.

You need to install Virtual Box 4.3. Once you have installed it you need to install the extension pack. Make sure that you install the extension pack for 4.3 specifically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.