New digital camera?

S

steve zissou

hey guys. i am looking to invest in a new digital camera to take about average pictures on, no real need for video but why not? and small enough to fit in my pocket at school. i was looking at the sony cybershot (5.1 mp) and the casio exilim (5 mp). both are pretty small and the only real difference between them from what i can tell, is the .1 mp and an extra $50. I would like any help on this, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I'd check Canon they have the best reviews and seem to take better pictures with less megapixels. I own the Canon Powershot SD400 and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Both are decent and both have pros and cons....

If you want something small and quickly accessible, the Sony Cybershot is decent. Thats what I use for a second P&S camera. I am a Canon consumer really. Most of my "pro" SLR's are Canons and my other P&S aside from the Cybershot is the PowerShot.

Both are great for P&S. But, IMO, the CyberShot is better! If you can, go to a store and check them out up close. See what feels better or what you're more comfortable with for a Point & Shoot.

It'll be better if you get a hands on comparison of the two.

Hope this helps. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have the cybershot as well and really love it, it works well for what I need..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
don't buy a casio! They are hard to repair (at least where i am). The best brand in cameras is Canon, check out the 400, 450, 550, and the new 430, with wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I have a Canon Elph, they are by far the best.

OP
S

steve zissou

mr. powerbook g4: have you had any problems with the cybershot? good pictures? i dont really care about the video but why not ask, good video? overall rating out of 10?
thanks

cpt.zissou

OP
S

steve zissou

o, and everyone else: canons really are top of the line arent they? do they have any digital cameras that are small enough to fit in your pocket discretely at school and not get in trouble (not that id do that :) ) and also take good pictures?

cpt.zissou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I researched quite a bit, before I decided on a Canon Elph. They are small, durable, nice features, intuitive and easy to use, they use SD cards which are cheap, and they come with a rechargable battery and charget
you can get the 400 or the 450 for under $300. They take excellent pictures, and they take really good quality movies, which I wasnt going to use initially, yet I am happy that I have that option. 3 of my friends and one family member have since bought an Elph after seeing mine. You will not be disappointed.

OP
S

steve zissou

cool. i have to check it out.i almost hate all of the possabilities in todays technology. thanks
cpt.zissou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Canon is up there on the Digi Cam food chain....But...

The Canons arent as thin as the Cybershot. I love Canon cameras and I wouldn't knock them on a negative level. However, the Sony Cybershot is thin and easy to conceal in a pocket. Ad easy to retrieve from a pocket. :black:

OP
S

steve zissou

yeah. im not to focused on size, though it matters, but i just want a camera that takes good pictures, is easy to load onto my computer, and is a size where it is easy to cary it everywhere. my dad has an old canon (i think its a canon) its a film and takes great pictures for its age. but is big, which is normal for a film i guess. thanks

no offense to canon, i know they take excellent pictures, but im probably going to get the cybershot. its got 5.1 megapixels, is a nice size, and has video. all for around 300/400 dollars. sounds good to me. o, today i visited a local best buy and saw an 8 or 9 mp camera. call me ignorant but it was crazy! i had a blast freaking out fellow customers as i took their pictures. low and behold it was about 1000 bucks and was huge, i dont mind the size if it takes pictures like that though.

cpt.zissou

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.