Computer Engineering Student

Reaction score
Hi,

I just started university as an undergraduate student, taking up a BSc in Computer Engineering. I need something with me (go figure ;P) and was recently waiting to either buy a Haswell-powered Windows laptop or wait for the new wave of Windows tablets or hybrids coming out.

Yet, the new iPad Air looks delicious. I have only one problem. We use MATLAB and Eclipse a lot in our classes and so I'd need them on my device. I guess I could go with just a C compiler and IDE, not necessarily Eclipse at school, and then redo all the stuff at home but I had heard that C programming isn't quite possible on iPad. Has this changed nowadays, given that the iPad now even sports a 64-bit processor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Simply put, you need a computer not an iPad. Don't get confused over the fact that the new iPad Air is 64 bit because it still runs iOS not OS X. Matlab and Eclipse are not going to run on an iPad. Besides, if you have to do programming the lack of tools for the iPad is a big drawback. Save your money for a MacBook Air or one of the new MacBook Pro machines. ;)

OP
O
Reaction score
Simply put, you need a computer not an iPad. Don't get confused over the fact that the new iPad Air is 64 bit because it still runs iOS not OS X. Matlab and Eclipse are not going to run on an iPad. Besides, if you have to do programming the lack of tools for the iPad is a big drawback. Save your money for a MacBook Air or one of the new MacBook Pro machines. ;)

I see. Thanks a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.