Lets talk about ALL the new App updates ~ OS X and iOS . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have put this here, because this has everything to do with the new Mavericks, just released. There is updates to the iLife package for both iOS and OS X, as well as the iWorks package.
Along with that, there looks like there is Updates to Aperture as well. In the Keynote, Tim, or one of them mentioned the new Final Cut Pro, and Aperture when talking about the new Mac Pro (Oh what a great price that is) but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a update to FCP, the latest being on the 30th of July. . . .

Im downloading and going to install Mavericks after this post, but i just want to say, i REALLY REALLY don't like the new iPhoto for iOS.
The old version, i seemed to have everything at my finger tips, and the controls where bigger, on my iPad Mini, but now, they have taken on the look of the Photo App iOS in the view of images.
But its when i go to do Post Processing that i find it, muddled and cumbersome, and i DONT seem to have the same control over the Editing Grrrr i really don't see this as a improvement, apart from the icon ;) But honestly, i have tried to bring 2 low light, dark shadowy images up and bright, and i can get it done on my iPhone5 (not updated so i could do comparisons) but i can't get the same edit on my iPad Mini :( I will keep at it, but hasn't tickled me yet.

2nd, Pages on my iPad Mini looks AMAZING and i mean that. I can't wait to order my new Retina iPad Mini, because things will be popping off the page when i use it. The controls and editing tools are in a great position and things can be done a lot quicker, without having to dig down through the layers to get to what you need. I love it.

3rd iMovie . . . . WOW WOW WOW They have out done themselves with this one. Apple have really done well and improved on something i thought it hard to do. Once a Project is done, direct upload to Vimeo or YouTube, or other Movie hosting Site Apps you have. I love this too.
All these Apps, especially iMovie (and maybe garage band if i buy it) will really do well on the new iPad Mini and the A7 chip. Cant wait.

All i have updated is iTunes on my MBP and at the moment i see no improvements, and we (In Australia) didn't get iRadio yet, so it looks and feels the same.
Im about to make a Bootable copy onto a Thumb Drive of Mavericks, and I'm SO SO happy Aperture got a Update, but I'm a little upset it wasn't a whole new re-write to make it Aperture 4, so once I'm up and running and updated the Apps ill be back.

Please lets us know what you think of the new App updates :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm especially interested in your take on the changes to Aperture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Haven't had chance to look at iMovie yet but I'm really pleased with the iPhoto changes. I didn't get on with the previous version at all. It was clunky and awkward to my eyes.
Not played with the new version for long but so far it seems much better. Time will tell.

Pages was good before but I agree. On iPad now it's stunning and seems very quick. Not tried Numbers and Keynote yet.

That's most of the Apple apps updated for iOS7 now . . but still stuck with faux leather in Find Friends though......

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That's most of the Apple apps updated for iOS7 now . . but still stuck with faux leather in Find Friends though......

Hmmm i have forgot about that App, have never used it really apart to keep track of my son. You should look at Contacts. One word for it . . . . . WHITE !!!!

iBooks is great. Opened it up and had all my Books straight away. Opened one up and it was where i had book marked it. Looks good and great font, easy to read, and the book store is right behind, just like on the iOS version. . . . Think ill be reading a lot more on my Mac that i used too. Its a pity that Zinio, can't make a decent Web or Mac App that is good for reading, because there web App is shite. . .
Pages on both iOS and Mac is just lovely. I love the icon, as well as the UI and easy of use. Seems like everything is just there and i don't have to delve down through menus to do what i need. They have hit the spot there.
I haven't yet opened up Aperture, but I'm not expecting a BIG change. Was hoping for Aperture4 but I'm happy to meet them half way for now @3.5.
Safari is good and works well between devices, but now have to lock my iPad Mini even though it sits at home, just to have iCloud Keychain. Love being able to open the reading list and check my twitter feed and open the Tweet right there and then, then reply or Retweet from Safari. Pretty neat. Not big on the flat layout for TopSites, but it will grow on me.

Maps is great too. Haven't had a big chance to play, but yea traffic is shown on it, and it easy enough to push a map to my iPhone, and i have already placed pins and bookmarked a crap load of "Go there all the time places" . . Then again, Google Maps remembers where i have been and where i need to go and when :(

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh well, doesn't seem like people think the new Apps are anything to talk about . . . Now we are a few weeks in, i have to say that iWork across all devices is just Devine. I love how, especially Numbers and Pages look the same across all devices and makes for sharing so much easier and editing, so much more enjoyable. I really like where Apple went with this.
Now Aperture. Version 3.5 brings a handful of new features to the OS X app, including iCloud Photo Sharing support that lets you access (or give access to) shared image or video streams. In addition to that, Aperture's Places feature now uses Apple Maps to pinpoint locations where photos are taken and with Apple Maps on the Mac now, this was a given really.
The upgraded app can also recognize and support iOS 7 image filters, upload videos up to three minutes long to Flickr and sync with a SmugMug image hosting account. I am really liking the SmugMug uploads support now. I have just gone and go a account and its a great place to put all this great shots you like and put them up. Im not going to use it as a full on Back Up, but its a nice online place to keep the best of the best.
I have read of complaints about not having 500px support, which is another High Quality site to host your images, but I'm sure someone will come up with a 500px plugin in no time at all.

With all this, Apple fixed the Auto White Balance especially on skin tone and Grey areas, and a lot of other minor tweaks. This isn't a BIG update by any means, but there is enough here at the moment to keep us happy and you can see that they want to improve on Aperture.
I have looked at LR and i just don't like it, and i can do what i need to do in Aperture so i will be hanging around for a while, but i would like to see Apple re-write Aperture, like they did with FCP X and give us a new look and new features that could bring it closer to the LR structure, but not enough to feel like it is :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the update.

I agree about improvements to Aperture, but honestly am transitioning to Lightroom. It seems a better fit for me personally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.