files are missing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.3 IPhone 5S IPad
I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and I am trying to transfer my files from my old Macbook using a WD My Passport for Mac portable drive. My old Macbook no longer works, but luckily I've backed up all my photos and files on this drive. I thought it would be simple to transfer all my files, but when I plug the drive into my new computer nothing happens. I can not locate my photos or files. Does anybody have experience with using this type of portable hard drive and how to transfer onto my new MacBook Pro? Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We will need a bit more information to give the best answer. How did you back up the files? Drag and drop? Time Machine?

Does the hard drive show up at all on the new machine?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.3 IPhone 5S IPad
I backed up my old computer using an external hard drive After plugging in the external hard drive and clicking a few buttons, the hard drive backed up my files into specific categories automatically. The screen would show a bar graph with specific categories, photos, documents, etc and the percentage of space left for each categories My old computer was a macbook OSX 10.4, Tiger operating system. That computer did not have Time Machine or ICloud capabilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.