Thunderbird question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I am new to Thunderbird and I'm using it as my Gmail client. When I set it up, the folders from my gmail account synched properly with TB. The problem is when I check my email on my phone or through mac's mail app, and either delete it or move it to a folder, it stays in my inbox on TB. Any idea how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, are you using IMAP? You need to switch if you're not since you're accessing mail from multiple devices.

In Thunderbird Mail, select the option to remove mail from the server after it has been downloaded. That should resolve the problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, its IMAP. I don't see that setting though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right click on your GMail account name. (www.gmail.com) Then under "Accounts" click on "view settings for this account". Click on the GMail name again and select "server settings".

Now scroll on down to where it says: "Leave messages on server". Make sure this box does not have a check mark in it. I believe Thunderbird selects it by default when you first set it up.

Let me know if you're still having trouble finding it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I see in that section

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 9.23.32 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's strange indeed. You're missing the box that says "Leave messages on server". Everything else in your screen shot is the same as what I have. Must be some difference that's causing it.

BTW, I'm using Thunderbird 24.0.1 (latest update).

Let me dig into the Thunderbird knowledge base and I'll get back to you. But in the meantime, I suspect that it's because you're setup as IMAP and my account is setup as PoP 3. I use both Thunderbird and Mac Mail which is why my Thunderbird account is setup that way.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm on that same release. I am using it for gmail, so I guess it has to be IMAP. I'll set it up as POP is I can and it means that it will allow me to do what I want. Thanks a lot for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I found it and it appears I was correct. However, there is a way for you to do the same thing. Go to this article in the Thunderbird Knowledge base and follow the instructions which they show at the top. Let me know if that works for you.

LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So am I unchecking the section that says Keep messages for this account on computer? I'm not sure which set of instructions I am supposed to follow.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, go ahead and uncheck it. But if you wish to continue using IMAP follow the instructions at the LINK I posted. IMAP is better for you since you're using multiple devices to get your mail.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I unchecked it and moved a message to another folder, from my phone, and it stayed in the inbox on TB. Which instructions are you talking about, in that link? Sorry for the confusion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the link I posted - at the top where it says "Message Synchronization". The box that says "Keep messages for this account on this computer". If you uncheck that box, it should then remove the messages from the server. If that's too confusing and causes problems, PoP 3 will work as stated before.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, that worked. It didn't seem to work the first time. Thank yu very much. I wish I switched to TB a year ago instead of using Outlook

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. You know, I love Outlook on Windows but the Mac version is years behind the Windows one. I have Outlook with Mac Office 2011 and didn't install it along with Word and the other apps. By the way, I also use my copy of Thunderbird as a news reader on those sites that provide news and forums via the NNTP protocol. It's great for that in case you ever get a chance to try it out.

Have fun.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree, Outlook for Mac is is def lacking. Thanks again for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.