• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Say goodbye to 15in Non-retina MBP

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Only the 13in non-retina remains in the Apple Store (other than refurbs). So if you want one better get it while they are still available.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Bummer. This will likely be my last Apple notebook.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was just coming to post this. Very sad. So Chris, what will you do when your MBP wears out? I feel the same way you do BTW. Bugs me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I wish they would kept the upgradability of the non-Retina MBP in the rMBP, especially if they are getting rid of the non-Retina option. Forcing people to pay the higher prices for the upgrades is tough to swallow..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree completely. If you purchase one you better get all the RAM you will ever need as you can never upgrade it. The SSD can be with at least OWC options, but still a pain.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I figured this day was coming. Kind of like when Apple did away with the "matte" display on laptops...and got rid of the 17" MacBook Pro.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured this day was coming. Kind of like when Apple did away with the "matte" display on laptops...and got rid of the 17" MacBook Pro.

- Nick

That was the first thing I went and checked after Apple updated their page and store. I was sort of expecting it just not this soon. Well Nick, you and I will have to buy up all the old MBPs and keep them for a rainy day! :D Grin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Nick, you and I will have to buy up all the old MBPs and keep them for a rainy day! :D Grin

Yes sir. It will probably still be a good while before I own a retina MacBook Pro.

My two Early 2011 MacBook Pro's are just getting "warmed up" in terms of their lifespan with me!;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Retina MacBook Pro doesn't do anything for me. I actually don't want a screen that's that high res - too many pixels to push around with little net benefit. I also don't want my notebook glued together and my memory soldered fast. So I'm choosing to vote with my wallet.

Next time around it will likely be a Dell XPS MacBook Pro clone (a buddy of mine has one of these and it's almost identical to my machine physically - it just has a few more ports). I can't say what OS I'll run on it, but I will say it won't be Windows 8.1 or any variety of Linux.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Retina MacBook Pro doesn't do anything for me. I actually don't want a screen that's that high res - too many pixels to push around with little net benefit. I also don't want my notebook glued together and my memory soldered fast.

Definitely a lot of limitations. In some ways an iPad with a keyboard (without the benefits of a touchscreen).;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Retina MacBook Pro doesn't do anything for me. I actually don't want a screen that's that high res - too many pixels to push around with little net benefit. I also don't want my notebook glued together and my memory soldered fast. So I'm choosing to vote with my wallet.

Next time around it will likely be a Dell XPS MacBook Pro clone (a buddy of mine has one of these and it's almost identical to my machine physically - it just has a few more ports). I can't say what OS I'll run on it, but I will say it won't be Windows 8.1 or any variety of Linux.

:D Grin at Chris! I hear you buddy!

My friends wife might sell me her 13" last model MBP. She keeps her stuff Mint and usually cuts the price for me. I might go for it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely a lot of limitations. In some ways an iPad with a keyboard (without the benefits of a touchscreen).;)

- Nick

I stand by my assessment of it when it first came out.... it's a 15" MacBook Air. Why they didn't call it that and just leave the 'Pro' for those of us who actually work professionally on computers, I'll never understand. I could care less if it's 1/4" thinner than my MacBook Pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again agree. It's really not a PRO machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand by my assessment of it when it first came out.... it's a 15" MacBook Air.

That's probably a better analogy.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Chris. When I have to pay $2600 to get a Mac notebook with discrete graphics, it's time to move on. And I'm not impressed with the retina screen either. I believe the 27" iMac, current, or last several previous models are probably the best value from Apple right now.

Yes Chris, that Dell XPS does look pretty good. And it'll run Windows 7 just fine.... :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With so many here going back to the PC Hardware, I wonder what will become of Mac Forums! :D

I love the new iPads as far as Tablets go, but most of the new Macs just don't move me at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Agree with most of what has been said here, I can't help but feel as though Apple is moving in a direction that I'm just not willing to follow. The word "Pro" should not be a label to any of their computers at this point.

My friends call it a "$1000 Facebook Machine" and honestly, I don't disagree with them anymore.

Sorry Apple, I've been saying you needed to clean up your act since the Airs came out and you killed off the White MacBook, I saw this coming from miles away and you know what, I was right. Time to move on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I tend to disagree with you guys.

1. Iris is not what discrete used to be, Google for benchmarks and tests, you'll be surprised. Processor speeds have also come down - is this a bad thing? No, sometimes "less" is actually more.
  2. A Retina display is the way of the future. Like it or not, your 52" home TV will also eventually be Retina. For those who prefer CRT, I'm sure you'll still find one somewhere.
  3. Max. out RAM from the start. Okay, it costs a little more, but...so does anything else from Apple.
  4. SSD. Also the way of the future. Apple Care will cover anything that fails and as the rMBPs become more popular, more alternatives will become available. I'm guessing compatibility between rMBPs will be good. When I look at the 13" MBP listed with it's HDD, I for one can't help thinking that I'm looking at a relic.
  5. Pricing has come down, this is a good thing. If I compare what I paid for a mid-2012 MBP with hi-res screen, 8GB RAM and 750GB HDD, I think the stock rMBP at $1,999 is very well-priced, considering the display and SSD.
  6. Unfortunately, change is part of the world, particularly in sectors like these. The traditional PC as we know it, be it desktop or portable is changing. Cue the iPad with a 64-bit processor and we can expect to see a merge of the two sooner rather than later.
  7. I think a Pro user is defined by someone who requires performance, rather than someone who likes to get under the hood. For someone with a non-Pro requirement, but likes to tinker, the 13" MBP remains for now. And for the true Pro, there's the new Mac Pro, which at the size and form factor is actually quite portable.

Personally, I'd go out and get one now, just difficult to justify with a one-year old MBP15 sitting in my rucksack.

Anyway, that's my 5 cents'...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I will bite. What is the RAM that is SOLDERED in dies? You say Ram never dies? I am a computer tech and can show you RAM dying. What if it happens right after Apple care is gone? You have a paperweight! Not everyone can afford Apples prices every 2 years. SSD is the future but this is not a true SSD, small card that is not sold most places. GLUED in battery. Have fun fixing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Dennis,

it's not a matter of biting, I'm putting forward a reasonable argument.

With Apple Care (which I think is a good idea on products of this type), I would say all parts will be covered for the reasonable part of the product's life.

Considering electronics, for sure any component can fail. Let's look at it: so can the CPU, GPU, jeez, even a single cap can fail on the board - and I'm not sure that RAM will be more susceptible to failure. Looking at electronics, you typically expect to see a bathtub failure curve, which means that you will be covered for the initial high "infant-mortality" phase and well into the "flat" part of the curve. On the contrary, with a factory-controlled specification, you have less chance of failure. I'm pretty sure Apple studies these statistics quite carefully.

We design and manufacture electronic systems (using ARM, Microchip) at our company and our most reliable systems by a long way are those designed to be purpose-specific, with no removable components.

I think that we're used to an old way of doing things and we need to adapt our view (I'm relatively new to Macs, but have been tinkering with PCs since the early '90s).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.