• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rejection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Apple has rejected hiring me 3 times now! THREE TIMES. Once they interviewed me twice. I thought I was in. NOPE! I believe I wasn't hired because I answered a question wrong. Do the Apple Stores have a database with applicants names they look up for red flags?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
The Apples Stores can not keep a database with personal data of applicants, but the Human Resources function of Apple can ( and probably will ).
Don't give up.

Cheers ... McBie

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Sorry you didn't get the job, but we certainly have no insight into Apple corporate or Apple Store hiring policy and procedures..

If you were looking to get employed by the stores, I imagine that they use a way of tracking applicants online and obviously applying multiple times when you've been rejected is hardly going to want them to hire you..

As a team lead right now in the process of hiring for my team, I can certainly say that if I see a candidate apply multiple times (especially after being rejected through an interview process), I'm certainly not going to look through the resume/credentials again hoping to find some new insight..
Might be time to move on?

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry you didn't get the job, but we certainly have no insight into Apple corporate or Apple Store hiring policy and procedures..

If you were looking to get employed by the stores, I imagine that they use a way of tracking applicants online and obviously applying multiple times when you've been rejected is hardly going to want them to hire you..

As a team lead right now in the process of hiring for my team, I can certainly say that if I see a candidate apply multiple times (especially after being rejected through an interview process), I'm certainly not going to look through the resume/credentials again hoping to find some new insight..
Might be time to move on?

I suppose you're right. Darn, I answered a question wrong. :(
I've not had a job in years. No one wants to hire me. So much for hard work, education, skills, not drinking, no jail time and just being a good chap.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This might be me being overly pragmatic but perhaps you ought to look elsewhere. Reports suggest that their rate of pay is lower than equivalent positions elsewhere so while the position may be more enjoyable (and there is certainly something to be said about the love of your job), it might be more fiscally prudent to seek out those equivalent positions (especially if you've been out of work for a while).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm not sure what the Apple hiring process entails, but it involves some sort of a test, answering one question wrong is likely not reason enough to not hire..

The reason to not hire is usually comprised of many things..personality, technical skills, being a team player, moral behavior..

Unfortunately, one of the worst thing is human bias against the long term unemployed. There's the perception that if a person hasn't been employed for a while it is for some reason other than a bad economy or something..

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's really hard to get a job out there. :Shouting:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's the perception that if a person hasn't been employed for a while it is for some reason other than a bad economy or something..

Very true. One reason why our younger folks, even the better educated ones, are having such a difficult time finding full time employment. That and the fact that employers are just not hiring because of the uncertainty of the "Affordable Health Care Act".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's really hard to get a job out there. :Shouting:

Amen! I was unemployed for 3 yrs. Oct 2008 - Oct 2011. Plenty of experience and glowing recommendations. Unfortunately, the longer you're out of the work force, the more they discriminate. It's sad but true. I had to take a warehouse job and work my way back into Accounting almost a year later. But now I'm back where I want to be.

Hang in there and keep trying. You'll find something.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen! I was unemployed for 3 yrs. Oct 2008 - Oct 2011. Plenty of experience and glowing recommendations. Unfortunately, the longer you're out of the work force, the more they discriminate. It's sad but true. I had to take a warehouse job and work my way back into Accounting almost a year later. But now I'm back where I want to be.

Hang in there and keep trying. You'll find something.

Thanks man. But I am an older worker. I truly don't know what the future holds for me. I am praying about it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks man. But I am an older worker. I truly don't know what the future holds for me. I am praying about it.

That may be part of your problem (age). While it's illegal to discriminate against hiring someone because of age, it is unfortunately a factor. I've been around Apple stores enough to see that most of the folks that work there are in their 20s.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may be part of your problem (age). While it's illegal to discriminate against hiring someone because of age, it is unfortunately a factor. I've been around Apple stores enough to see that most of the folks that work there are in their 20s.

True. But I have seen a hand full of workers who were older than me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Getting a job is horrible in the US these days.. ML its not you. Its a number of factors that while each very small have compounded together and really upset the job workforce in the US. When our government states we have 10% unemployment, they really mean 30%..

When I was younger, IT was the "it" field to be in. A few years of experience and a A+ cert and you were on your way to 40k a year job. If you had 2 year IT degree and A+, 60k. 4year and no A+ you was 75k or higher.

Then there is now. 4-5 years experience, A+, Linux+, Network+, CCNA and 4 year degree gets you a 30k if your LUCKY..

I got sick of doing the high end engineering work that one would normally get paid 60k for and only getting 25k a year.. I straight up said to **** with it, my military pension paid me more a month then I made working.. I retired at 35 and moved to the Philippines..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I straight up said to **** with it, my military pension paid me more a month then I made working.. I retired at 35 and moved to the Philippines..

Retired at 35...on a military pension??...did you enlist when you were 15? To the best of my knowledge...you need to put in a minimum of 20 years before you can collect on a military pension.:)

Or were you injured in one of the many conflicts we've been involved in over the last 20+ years...and that's been factored in?

Just curious...maybe things have changed since I was in the US military.

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting a job is horrible in the US these days.. ML its not you. Its a number of factors that while each very small have compounded together and really upset the job workforce in the US. When our government states we have 10% unemployment, they really mean 30%..

When I was younger, IT was the "it" field to be in. A few years of experience and a A+ cert and you were on your way to 40k a year job. If you had 2 year IT degree and A+, 60k. 4year and no A+ you was 75k or higher.

Then there is now. 4-5 years experience, A+, Linux+, Network+, CCNA and 4 year degree gets you a 30k if your LUCKY..

I got sick of doing the high end engineering work that one would normally get paid 60k for and only getting 25k a year.. I straight up said to **** with it, my military pension paid me more a month then I made working.. I retired at 35 and moved to the Philippines..

Thanks. However, I do think it is me. I have been on many job interviews that I was qualified for. I don't know anymore. At the age of 53 I really don't know what I'm going to do. I never thought I would be faced with this. Maybe you're right. Maybe it's not me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Retired at 35...on a military pension??...did you enlist when you were 15? To the best of my knowledge...you need to put in a minimum of 20 years before you can collect on a military pension.:)

Or were you injured in one of the many conflicts we've been involved in over the last 20+ years...and that's been factored in?

Just curious...maybe things have changed since I was in the US military.

- Nick
Medical.. LOL

I normally just say Military Pension to keep from bringing up more questions and confusing people more, but its VA C&P.. I got a lot of issues, started with a heat stroke in Bahrain moving cargo. 10k pounds of cargo by hand a day, plus 118F in the shade, for 9 months = hospital..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. However, I do think it is me. I have been on many job interviews that I was qualified for. I don't know anymore. At the age of 53 I really don't know what I'm going to do. I never thought I would be faced with this. Maybe you're right. Maybe it's not me.

Its not you.. Its the economy and our government running us into the ground. There is prob rules against politics here. As are on most all good forums. SO want even go there more then I already did. But it is what it is.

Its getting so bad in the US, McDonalds is now looking for workers with high school diplomas. They still take younger workers although the other is now preferred.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Medical.. LOL

I normally just say Military Pension to keep from bringing up more questions and confusing people more, but its VA C&P.. I got a lot of issues, started with a heat stroke in Bahrain moving cargo. 10k pounds of cargo by hand a day, plus 118F in the shade, for 9 months = hospital..

I understand. That's why I included it as a possible way to be retired from the military...and have only been 35 at the time.

I hope everything is going well. Hopefully the VA is taking good care of things!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not you.. Its the economy and our government running us into the ground. There is prob rules against politics here. As are on most all good forums. SO want even go there more then I already did. But it is what it is.

Anything goes in this forum as long as you stay within our guidelines. No problem with discussing politics, however, as you know.... it usually leads to heated discussions.

I do agree partly with what you stated about our economy and the real unemployment figures. But our OP is also at an age where it's very difficult to get hired. Like I stated to him, while age discrimination is illegal, it still exists. Apple may not come right out and say "Sorry, but you're too old to work around here with all these young geeks we usually hire", you can't help but think that's exactly what's going on.

The OP says he sees a handful of Apple employees around his age but I bet most of them have either been there for awhile or are senior.

Another thing... he's living in a tough job market area with a very high cost of living. (NYC)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.