Simple Dashboard Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Ok simple Dashboard questions.
1) Does anyone use this? I have mine disabled.
2) If you do use it. Can you explain its uses and how a average person may want to use it.

I like geeky stuff, hate to have something cool on my PC and never use it. Plus waiting on the Apple Event stream and very board.. LOL

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Joe, I have never used dashboard, as I don't really understand what it is there for :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Since you can customize it, it's really up to you how you'd use it. On my dashboard I have only the widgets I use; the dictionary, unit converter, language translator and weather. The need for this information comes up for me more than it might for you, but probably more than you'd think.

I have also unchecked the option in System Preferences to show the Dashboard as a Space. This makes it appear over the desktop so I can still see my desktop underneath it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have it disabled on my computer. The only thing I did use it for has been replaced by other software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I used to use it to check sports scores, but that particular "widget" (what do they call 'em?) died.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I used to use it to check sports scores, but that particular "widget" (what do they call 'em?) died.

Yeah, I found that too. Many widgets just stopped working as the OS got updated. And then they never got updates.

Reaction score
My main use was for the widget RadarinMotion, a local radar and weather widget. Guess what hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Reaction score
That's the one. Last time I tried it the map wouldn't load. Looks like he fixed it? Thanks!!

M

MacInWin

Yeah, the maps come from Weather.com, so if they are having any issues, no maps. I had a Dilbert Widget that worked the same way and when Dilbert.com changed, widget quit. Dilbert would love it!

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Yea I am not much for widgets and gadgets that are maintained by other people. They tend to get outdated just when I enjoy them the most then wait forever for updates.. Think I will just play around with Geektools and see what I can do with it. Here is a screen shot from about 2 years ago of my Linux box with Conky. UI and everything is all custom built (drawn and programmed) by myself. Really liked this setup, will have to try to migrate it over to OSX and Geek tools.. It will prob be a full re write..

01JUNE2011.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I use Dashboard all the time. I have a nice little weather app that I check constantly. Other widgets I use frequently include the conversion widget, dictionary, and thesaurus (this one was invaluable when I was writing my dissertation), as well as a password creating app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.