Upgrading MBP, how and what, ( warning Mac dummy)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Cool thanks, I'm most interested in ease of use and stability. I'm sure that 10.9 is sweet but I do have a late 08 model. What do you like most between 10.6,7,8 and 9?I did update the ram to 8gig , so maybe. I have to do the 10.6 first. I guess the only things I miss from my iPad are a couple functions, iTunes access, iCloud is interesting. I might just buy another SSD and use the time machine instead. No choice on the iPad tho. I'm starting to have speed issues with that. Could be net connection.

I'm getting the grief from one of my self taught PC buddies. Argues with me that I should have gotten the Samsung SSD cause the specs say it writes faster. Another spec chaser jockey. He don't pay attention to real world applications. I'm super happy and so is the wife.

Reaction score
Cool thanks, I'm most interested in ease of use and stability. I'm sure that 10.9 is sweet but I do have a late 08 model. What do you like most between 10.6,7,8 and 9?I did update the ram to 8gig , so maybe. I have to do the 10.6 first. I guess the only things I miss from my iPad are a couple functions, iTunes access, iCloud is interesting. I might just buy another SSD and use the time machine instead. No choice on the iPad tho. I'm starting to have speed issues with that. Could be net connection.

I'm getting the grief from one of my self taught PC buddies. Argues with me that I should have gotten the Samsung SSD cause the specs say it writes faster. Another spec chaser jockey. He don't pay attention to real world applications. I'm super happy and so is the wife.

This is exactly what I'm talking about..

MOST mac folks don't know hardware.. and PC guys think all mac people are idiots.. But the fact is that many times PC folks will waste stupid amounts of money doing stuff that has little/no bearing on hteir daily use speeds..

one little tidbit: Macbook Pros from 2008-2011 will RUN SLOWER on a Sata3 drive (6gb) than on a Sata2 drive (3gb)...

yes i said that correctly.

The HDD bus on the 09 and 10 systems will usually NOT work properly with 6gb bus drives, and instead of running them at 3gb, they'll actually DOWNCLOCK them to 1.5gb. Several places talk about this--i think the OWC SSD webpage actually recommends AGAINST the 6gb drives on pre-2012 systems for this reason.. I was talking to the folks at Wegener about an upgrade on my 09 Macbook Pro and they mentioned it was a problem as well.

So unless you've got a 2012 era or newer Macbook Pro, you'd be slowing yourself down by spending the extra money..

so there you go--tell your PC buddy you knew what was best for your system and he's just clueless..

You asked about OS.

1. do NOT GO TO MAVERICKS. it has so many "glitches" right now it probably could qualify for a US presidential cabinet position. Preview won't work. numerous power usage issues. BUT, if you want to complain about the quality, just remember the famous words: "if you thought it was expensive before, just wait till it's free!" (same could be said of healthcare, but that's a different subject and this is computer's we're talking about)...

2. i'd stick with 10.6.8 if i had a 2008 era Macbook pro. you really aren't losing anything to speak of--at least nothing that i'd consider essential.

that's my $.02.... and it's worth exactly what you paid for it... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Preview works just fine on mine thats how I read PDF's that I deal with everyday but you will have to open applications in 10.9 to open and option to leave in Dock where as on previous versions it came loaded on the Dock.
As far as other issues I have not experienced any so far and have been using it since release.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Once again thanks for the info. That's hilarious about the down clocking. Sometimes its best to just quietly grin , than to argue with a PCer that only has the component specs memorized, but doesn't understand how they work together......

I'm sure 10.6 will keep me busy, its took me this long to upgrade, maybe the bugs will be gone when I'm ready to do mavericks in another 6 years. Haha....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.