Capturing the cursor in a screen shot in MS Excel

Reaction score
I teach students how to use MS Excel. I want to show them the various cursors that allow different functions, however when I use the built-in screen capture screen function the actual cursor does not appear.

Does anyone know how to make the cursor appear in the screen shot or if there is any freeware out there that would allow me to take such a picture.

It is just to paste the picture into a Word document so they have something to use a guide. Even Google images did not have very useful shots.

Edit: I tried Grab also but it apparently only includes the cursor from a pre-defined group of cursors. Basically, I want to include the hand cursor, the plus-looking cursor, and the "Swiss flag" cursor as I call it

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Grab will do that for you..

OP
T
Reaction score
Even using the Timed Screen in Grab did not let me capture the cursor in Excel.

Am I doing something wrong?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you've gone into Preferences to choose your cursor? I'll play with it tonight and report back..

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah...did you see my edit in my original post?

I tried Grab just after posting the original and only found a varied selection of cursors. I want those specific to Excel (described in the original) and they are not there.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh gotcha..then you might want to try SnagIt. There is a 30 day free trial that should allow you to play with it and see if it's worth buying..

Reaction score
Was going to recommend Skitch but just tried it and no cursor.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Trann. That worked. Definitely went with the free trial...$60 for capturing 3 images seemed a little steep :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.