MacBook Pro 2012 Water Damage

Reaction score
Good Morning, my grandmother spill a cup of water on my Mac when it was closed, some of the water made it through the keyboard and some water got through the internals. I dried the Mac, and let it sit for 12 hours. I turned it on and it booted perfectly. I ran Word and Chrome which worked perfectly. I then turned it off and turned it on and ran the Apple Test Hardware which reported back zero errors. I was pretty happy so I turned it off 3 more times and turned it on and it started up perfectly. The charger works perfectly also and all the keys work. Will my Mac Book survive or will it eventually die on me? Thank you for the help! I feel so lucky but can I really be that lucky?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It has nothing to do with luck. Either:

- water got in (and that's a problem)
- water didn't get in (and that's not a problem)
- water got in (and it hasn't come in contact with anything vital yet)

The only way to know for sure...is to take it apart...and examine it for water penetration. If there is water present...then it needs to be removed.

Otherwise if no internal exam is made...there's no way of making any accurate predictions.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.