Mouse Sticky and window too large for monitor - Virus?

Reaction score
Mouse just got sticky - jerks from place to place and is slow to respond. Also screen just got huge and hard to see - too big for monitor. THink I got a virus. What to do?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Having unexpected things doesn't automatically mean you have a virus.

What Mac do you have? What version of OS X? Have you rebooted the Mac to see if this problem persists? Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists?

Reaction score
Screen too big for monitor - press control and scroll the mouse wheel until it's normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Screen too big for monitor - press control and scroll the mouse wheel until it's normal.

Or using keyboard, command and + or -

OP
C
Reaction score
cradom Thank You! Never knew about that !! Completely different from comand + or -!

Still jerky mouse. Mac wireless mouse - batteries at 50%. Will check that next. HAve not tried safe mode.

Thank you all! Do Macs need Spybot and Adaware?

M

MacInWin

Any other BT devices nearby? Sometimes they can interfere with each other.

Need? No. But it's annoying to have ads pop up. I use Ghostery to pretty much stifle everything, including monitors, surveys, hidden actions as well as ads and spybots.

Reaction score
Spybot or Adaware? No.
Adblock+ ? Only if you want to stay sane.
And ^ Ghostery. Or DoNotTrack.
If you REALLY feel you need antivirus, and most switchers do, use ClamXav.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Change the batteries pronto.

OP
C
Reaction score
Wow - after computer off for 8 hours (tried before night before - maybe not as long, maybe I let warm up longer this time) mouse now fixed! Thanks to all - nice forum! Thank you especially cradom - the screen thing was really bad. Never knew about that Control and mouse trick. Amazing. I need to study more Mac tips. Thanks for anti virus help too cradom.
Grateful,
choffman12

Reaction score
Glad you got it. Sometimes it's the little things...

OP
C
Reaction score
Wow - it became sticky again as soon as I posted success! So today I remembered I fixed it before when a cable was loose on Mac Pro or in between.

So even though they looked tight and felt tight I tried to push them in further - cable from monitor to Pro - and voila - it worked!

So far lets pray. So now I hope the connections remain snug for they were already tight I just pushed them even though they were already seemingly all the way inserted.

Do you recommend the Apple training sites for more shortcuts and tips like you showed me? Thanks!!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So even though they looked tight and felt tight I tried to push them in further - cable from monitor to Pro - and voila - it worked!

Maybe it's time for a new cable.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.