Using Airport Extreme instead of Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I have an AE that I use as my router and have a 100 gb ssd attached to it that I store files and movies on. I just had a scare with my macbook where it booter into recovery mode so I'm thinking about getting the time capsule. While I was on the phone with Apple Care, I got 2 different answers to this question. I'd like to know if, instead of getting the TC, I can just get a 1TB SSD, hook that up the the AE and use that to store files AND as a time capsule backup. Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So then can I get rid of the AE, use the Time capsule to backup the computer and plug in an additional SSD into the Time Capsule to save additional files so I can bring it back and forth to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Yes, if you want. Or you could connect it direct to your Mac. Either way.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. So I guess I will see the time capsule in finder and then see the HD that is connected to the TC and be able to connect to either. Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.