Uploading photos to this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I have tried all the ways that I know of to upload a picture to this forum but with no success.
I have the photo on my desktop and I have also uploaded the photo to Photobucket. I have then got the link from photobucket and pasted it into the box that you see after clicking on the "Inset Image" icon at the top of the reply box.
But when I preview it, all that I get is a load of HTML with the link from Photobucket at the end.
Maybe it was just a temporary glitch from this forum or maybe I was doing it wrong.
So could some kind soul please explain how you get pictures to appear within a post.

Cheers,
Steve.

ps ..... I have tried using all of the links that Photobucket supply.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At the bottom of the reply box, click on the 'Go Advanced' button.
Then scroll down the page and click on the 'Manage Attachments' button.

A Finder window will open permitting you to select the pic you want.
After you select it, then click on the 'Upload' button.
Close that window and you will be back at your post ready to submit.

Don't know what is happening with the photobucket 'insert image' method.
Put one up so we can see it.
Would guess you are using a url link to the photobucket page rather than a link only to the specific image.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info, Bob.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Meanwhile, I have to ask the question, (being an inquisitive kind of guy) if you can't upload an image to a post on the forum by clicking on the "Insert image" icon, why is it there?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, something seems to have gone wrong.
I did all the steps that Bob suggested and, as far as I can tell, I did it all right.
I went Advanced and found a picture. I uploaded it by clicking on the "Upload" icon on the right of the page. I closed the window and I was back on the "Reply" page but the post area was empty. I tried Preview but again, the post area was empty.
Going back to the "Manage attachments" page, the name of my photo was shown and clicking on it brought up my picture. The only thing wrong is that I still can't get the image to appear in the reply box.
I feel so stupid now because I'm probably doing something really dumb.

DSCF1059.JPG

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What the heck happened there?
We seem to live in world where a Preview button doesn't give you an actual view of what your post will look like. This would make a great Mr Bean script, lol
Cheers,
Steve

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob wrote ...... "Don't know what is happening with the photobucket 'insert image' method.
Put one up so we can see it.
Would guess you are using a url link to the photobucket page rather than a link only to the specific image
."

Bob ... I meant the "Insert image" icon at the top of this reply box, the one that looks a bit like a postcard showing a mountain.
If you put a picture within a post, is it normal that the image doesn't show in Preview?
Meanwhile, I'll try again.
Cheers,
Steve.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, Let me just run through what I just did.
I scrolled down until I saw the option to Go Advanced and clicked on the icon.
I scrolled down again until I found a link to Manage Attachments and clicker on that.
The finder window opened and allowed me to search for the image that I wanted.
I double clicked on it and then clicked on "Upload" on the same line.
I then closed the Finder window.
I came back to the Reply window and hit the Preview button. The window remained empty.
I then typed what you see here and clicked the Preview button once more.
Lo and behold, the picture now appears on the line underneath "Once more"
I'm completely baffled now.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Steve

us.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you want to know what you're doing wrong when using the "Insert image" link, you still need to post one and leave it in the post so that one of the mods can open your post and look at what is actually there.

The "Insert image" will put an image in line where ever you place it within the post - like so:
dots-candy.jpg

Yes, it is typical for the images to not appear in the "reply" box - nothing strange going on.
They should appear in the "preview" box, but if they don't, sorry, but I am not going to spend my personal time trying to figure out why/why not.

"Attached" images will always appear at the bottom of a post after all text - like so:

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 4.43.52 AM.png

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I seem to have upset you somehow and I don't understand why that has happened.
If the picture works, maybe it will cheer you up a bit. Failing that, you can always just ignore me.
I won't go into a huff, honest.

4xjag.jpg

OK, that picture was added by clicking on the mountain postcard type link and going down that route.
Cheers all for helping out.
Steve

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
;)

No, no, no... I'm not upset. The preview doesn't show the pic for me most of the time either.
You can see how many posts I have and have never bothered to ask why not or try and figure out why it doesn't work for me - just something that I have not felt to be worth putting any effort into... :)

And that car has the steering wheel on the wrong side...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.