Need to disable Scroll-Lock key on ext keyboard

Reaction score
Running Lion on a MacBook.

The external keyboard is plugged through a Belkin KVM.

Both the Belkin and OS X assign meaning to the otherwise-useless
Scroll Lock key on the external keyboard (US 101 layout)..

On the Belkin, it is the wakeup key for switching to a different computer.

On OS X, it brings up the "Are you sure you want to shut down?" prompt.

Thus, every time I swtich from the mac to one of the other computers,
I have to reach back and hit Escape on the MacBook keyboard to close the useless power-off dialog.

There must be a way to disable this in what people tell me is the most user-friendly OS, right? Can somebody please share it?

OP
I
Reaction score
Workaround for Scroll Lock key

Answering my own post in case anybody is drawn to this page by a web search engine:

It's kind of a lame workaround, but if you hold ALT (on either keyboard) while pressing Scroll Lock, the Mac doesn't try to shutdown, but the Belkin sees it as Scroll Lock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Guess the old story about keyboards work much better plugged in direct rather than through USB hub.

OP
I
Reaction score
Not an option, but thanks anyway.

Guess the old story about keyboards work much better plugged in direct rather than through USB hub.

Sure, and my car works better if I only drive it in the summer and never drive it in winter and get snow or salt on it. This doesn't help me keep my day job, though.

So I think your comment is not really very relevant, because what you suggest is not an option. OS X is nice in its own way but there are other OSes that people want or need to use. A KVM is how we do that; it quickly and reliably switches the keyboard, video and mouse.

The problem is not the USB hub in the KVM, but the fact that both Belkin and Apple are stupidly rigid about not giving you an option to change the meaning assigned to one particular key on the keyboard. With SystemPrefs->Keyboard Shortcuts, you can change the meanings of many keyboard keys, but not ScrollLock - it's SOOO important that we won't let you change it. Why? No reason, really, we just don't want to bother... The fact that it would also help Excel users (google Excel Mac Scroll Lock) only adds to the mystery of why they don't fix it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.