strange internet problems

Reaction score
hello guys, i'm new to this forum and i already have a question.
my safari isn't working because it says that i don't have an active internet connection. also when i try to run a software update, it says that it can't search for updates because of a network problem, downloading torrents also doesn't work, whenever i try to install a new game it says that there's something wrong with my firewall, but i turned on my firewall and checked al the boxes so that it will accept every connecton but the strange part is that if i use google chrome it will work, so i am connected to the internet.
really desperate for help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

You'll need to provide some information: 1) Model/Yr/OS X iMac or laptop; 2) CPU/RAM/Storage; & 3) Network setup (e.g. DSL, cable, other) including modem & router (brand/model).

For starters, if you are behind a router w/ its own firewall, I would disable the OS X firewall, power recycle the modem/router, and then try Safari again - if not effective, then please post back here - I'm sure that our 'network gurus' will chime in shortly to help you further. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If it works with Google Chrome, then you have a working internet connection and I would start looking at how applications behave. Do you have any application installed that controls network behaviour ?
You mention " a firewall " ... is that the OS X firewall or some 3rd party firewall.
What OS are you running ?
Did the applications you mentioned work before or have they never worked at all ?

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.