Should I have ‘allowed’ and not ‘denied’?

Reaction score
My MPB (10.6.8) was left on with a partially charged battery and shut itself down during the night. In the morning, I put it on charge and switched on. A window opened explaining that the clock was inaccurate and so I re-set it. However, there were other windows telling me that certain applications (that I had never heard of and whose names I do not now remember) would not function correctly if they were not allowed to accept in-coming data. Befuddled by sleep, I clicked “Deny” in each case. The MPB seems to be functioning normally but I’m wondering what these applications were, and whether the “Deny” should be changed to “Allow”. I can only remember that their names were in lower case letters with perhaps included a number.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would first do a Repair Permissions from Disk Utility using the Snow Leopard install disk.
Without you remembering the names of these Apps, it is really hard to say, but they could of been some system utility that needed it to be accepting incoming data, and if you Repair Permissions from the SL iInstall Disk, should fix anything you may have mucked up.
I wouldnt worry too much, but do a Repair Permissions, log out then back in and just keep using your MBP.

And just 1 more thing, dont worry about all the errors in the log window, as you get these from time to time, and thats why you are Repairing the Permissions.

Cheers

PS: Disk Utility is in the Utilities Folder in the Applications Folder

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Those deny/allow boxes are prompts from the firewall. Check to see if the firewall is on (System Preferences > Security & Privacy).

Denying incoming connection may very well inhibit proper functioning. However, if it does, the fix is simple (in that preference pane, you can either turn off the firewall or add permission for the app that has issues).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.