If Apple releases the new MacBook Pro on October 22...

Reaction score
If Apple releases the new MacBook Pro on October 22, when will it be in stock to ship?

It's been a while since I've bought a new Mac and I remember that a few years ago the minute a new Mac was announced it was already in stock at Apple stores and were ready to ship from the distribution centers as well. In other words, Apple had the shops stocked before they even announced the product. I'm aware these days it's not like that anymore... at least not with big-production items like iPhones.

Anyway, the reason I ask is because I need a new laptop by no later than the last week of October to have it ready and running for an event the first week of November. Feasible?

The other thing that worries me is Mavericks. Since I need the computer to be functional mainly for Photoshop and Lightroom, it would be tough if the software doesn't run right in the early stages of Mavericks.

If that plan is too risky, I might simply buy a middle-tier MacBook air to hold me over for a few months and then buy the Pro closer to Christmas so I can have time to sort it all out. The Air won't be ideal, but I'm pretty sure it will work for RAW/PSD photos of 5000px's in size which is mostly what I work on.

Any thoughts? What version of Photoshop or CSx do you think I'll need for Mavericks. C5? CS6?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to Apple Notebooks as this post does not qualify as a Rumor or Report. Please read the forum description and sticky notes before posting.

Generally when Apple announces a new device (computer, iPhone, iPad, etc) it's available for sale on line or in Apple Stores within a short period of time. Sometimes immediately, but sometimes like the recent refresh of the iMac, it may take several weeks before it's available.

As for which apps will be compatible with Mavericks, go here: RoaringApps Compatibility Table

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys.

Sorry for choosing the wrong forum. I was talking about a machine not yet released, so I assumed it fit in "rumors". But I get it.

I'll do a bit more research for compatibility of apps. If it's around the 25th I can get a hold of one, this should give me enough time to have it ready for my business trip.

Still torn a bit towards the Air as my portable and then buying a souped up iMac for the bulk of the work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I like the 11" MacBook Air for traveling and since it has a full sized keyboard it can be used with most apps that require a lot of input like MS Office. Of course if you decide to go that route, get one that's fully loaded. Lots of memory and large flash drive. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.