wi-fi problem in clamshell mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I posted on here a while back for some advice on a monitor for my 2010 macbook. In the end I went for Samsung and it looks really good.

Unfortunately though, using the macbook in clamshell mode leads to a total loss of wifi ability. The icon on the menu bar (on the monitor) shows full wifi strength but web pages will not load. But when I open up the lid of my macbook, it jumps back into life again and all is fine.

I searched online for suggestions and it does seem a common problem. Couldn't find anything from this site though so was wondering if anyone here has has similar issues and if so whether they resolved them?

Thanks, Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's strange. I used my older 2008 MacBook in clamshell mode for 3 years with a Samsung monitor and never had a problem accessing the net when the lid was closed. Since the WiFi signal remains with the lid closed but web pages won't load, that would seem to indicate that your MacBook "thinks" it's sleeping.

I'm assuming you're using an external keyboard and mouse while in clamshell mode? And that the MacBook is on mains power and not battery?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've never had a WiFi issue when operating in Clamshell mode either.

The only thing I can think of is...many times the airport antenna runs around the display & goes thru the hinge area. So maybe the airport antenna/cable is getting pinched somehow when the laptop display is closed.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can think of is...many times the airport antenna runs around the display & goes thru the hinge area. So maybe the airport antenna/cable is getting pinched somehow when the laptop display is closed.

I thought that at first also Nick. But he says his WiFi signal shows full strength with the lid closed but no web page access. It is odd.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks guys

yes - external power supply attached as well as bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

tried a speed test earlier - wouldn't connect to the site with the lid closed, but once I openned it the speed literally jumped up straight away.

strange that the wifi signal strength remains at full strength though?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought that at first also Nick. But he says his WiFi signal shows full strength with the lid closed but no web page access. It is odd.

Yes you're right. Forgot about that detail.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
strange that the wifi signal strength remains at full strength though?

Any chance that when you use this computer in clamshell mode (display lid closed)...that the computer is being placed somewhere different than when you use the computer with the display lid open?

If the computer is being placed somewhere different (when the display lid is closed for clamshell mode)...maybe it's being placed next to something or behind something...that is interfering with the Airport signal.

Especially something large & metallic...or something magnetic like computer or stereo speakers. Or who knows...maybe even too close to your external Samsung monitor.

- Nick

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope - in exactly the same place. flat on the desk

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a strange one that I have never seen. I wonder like was mentioned above if something is thinking it's in sleep?

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but then the external display would sleep wouldn't it?

and other apps (that don't need a network connection) are working fine.

this is bizarre

Reaction score
Macbook Air Clamshell Wifi woes

I am having the same issue on my 2014 Macbook Air. I've had this laptop and have used it in the same Henge Dock for almost 6 months and it just started having this problem in the past two days. After several hours of use the wifi will stop working. The menu bar shows that I'm still connected but anything that requires wifi connectivity stops working (VPN, safari, etc.). If I turn the wifi off and then back on hoping to kickstart it into working it then fails to connect. If I pull the laptop out of the dock and open it it connects to the wifi without any problem. If I insert it back into the dock it will drop the wifi connection and will not reconnect. If I pull it out and restart it and then put it back in the dock it works fine for a while but then repeats the same behavior. If I had hair I would pull it out. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.