MBP iSight & Bluetooth not working- need advice

Reaction score
Just to get it all out there, earlier this year, I dropped my MBP. Then dropped it two more times. I know, I know...

The model is a late 2008 15" A1286.

Everything was fine except for a cracked screen (which I replaced) and some dents.

About a month ago I noticed that my Bluetooth pref pane was missing. Then a few days ago my lid started separating from the LCD bracket. I know this is known problem that people have had fixed as little as a few months ago, but I'm guessing the dents won't help me any. So I decided to repair myself. All went fine, booted up. Still not bluetooth and now no iSight.

I tried all the fixes, permissions repair, PRAM/SMC reset, dumping preferences, nothing.

I decided to take the path of least resistance and replace the bluetooth/iSight module, the whole thing including camera with a new one. Installed, no dice. Did the above again, no dice.

I should note that Airport works flawlessly.

I need some help with next steps. Should I get a new cable? Pros: Cheap Cons: PIA to replace. Could it be a logic board issue? Pro: Would fix Con: $$$ for an old computer.

Wondering if I should cut my losses and pass this on to someone who doesn't care about facetime or bluetooth.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I need some help with next steps. Should I get a new cable? Pros: Cheap Cons: PIA to replace. Could it be a logic board issue? Pro: Would fix Con: $$$ for an old computer.

Yeah, that's a tough decision. You've done some pretty extensive work on the machine yourself. I guess if it were my machine I would try replacing the cable and if that didn't work, put it up for sale as is. If it's a logic board defect, that would make it too expensive to repair. You're right about the replacing the cable, it is a pain according to the instructions given at the ifixit web site.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a tough decision. You've done some pretty extensive work on the machine yourself. I guess if it were my machine I would try replacing the cable and if that didn't work, put it up for sale as is. If it's a logic board defect, that would make it too expensive to repair. You're right about the replacing the cable, it is a pain according to the instructions given at the ifixit web site.

having followed up behind situations like this in my repair work, let me give some educated guessing.

1. I'd bet that you plugged the connector in slightly crooked on the bluetooth (and by slightly crooked, we're talking .5-.75mm). and it shorted out, and blew the controller chip on the logic board.

2. the isight is powered separately from Bluetooth.. so it could also be that connection as well.. Or you might've damaged the harness for the camera.

I only know of two places where you can get it fixed as a board-level repair, and I'd guess you're looking at $150-300 to have them do the repair... The question is whether it's worth $200-300 for a repair (the only other choice IMHO is to replace the logic board AND probably the harnesses, which is a $500+ tag)..

So i'd think whether or not you can get it sold with say a $100 loss, vs sending it off and having it fixed...

my $.02, for what it's worth

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info all.

I think it's time to cut my losses. I have a feeling that the money will be better spend on a new machine, then piecemealing new parts with my finger crossed if it will work or not.

Someone will want it and probably take the project on. Plus, everything else runs great, it's got dual drives and a good chunk of RAM.

Off to craigslist!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.