Wifi dropping signal

Reaction score
I have a 21.5" Mid 2011 iMac running 10.7.5

About a month ago my WiFi started dropping sporadically. It seemed to happen after being asleep. Since then the problem has gradually gotten worse, and it now stops working every time the computer is put to sleep, and even stops working while it's awake.

If I go open System Preferences --> Network, it shows the WiFi as being connected (green) even when it's not working.

The only thing I can do to get it to work again is click on "Turn WiFi Off", and then turn it back on, or restart the system.

I've searched endless discussions on various forums and nothing seems to resolve the problem.

I should point out that our dlink router is pretty new and all the other devices (phones, computers, PS3) don't have any issues.

It's driving me crazy.... please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Upgrade your iMac to Mountain Lion. That problem has long been resolved with several updates from Apple including one that specifically addressed it. Mountain Lion is only $19.99 from the Mac App store. Make sure you backup everything before downloading and installing Mountain Lion.

In case you're wondering.... I have the same machine and had the same problem......

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. Your response gave me yet another reason to purchase an external drive. Picked up a drive today and will be upgrading once Time Machine is finished backing up.

I'll post another update once I've upgraded and tried out the new operating system for a few weeks :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Upgrade your iMac to Mountain Lion. That problem has long been resolved with several updates from Apple including one that specifically addressed it. Mountain Lion is only $19.99 from the Mac App store. Make sure you backup everything before downloading and installing Mountain Lion.

In case you're wondering.... I have the same machine and had the same problem......

Upgraded and it is still doing it :Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's still doing the same thing, then the problem is not the same as was plaguing iMac users with Lion. As stated above, I had the very same problem but it went away after Apple issued several updates. It was also documented that it would be fixed with Mountain Lion.

Since your router is fairly new and your other devices are working OK, it has to be limited to the iMac alone. Is it possible to move the iMac to see if that makes a difference?

OP
B
Reaction score
Solution found

I managed to find a solution located HERE via the Apple Support Community.

I had to complete the instructions contained in the first 3 links before my issue was solved. Hope it helps anyone else with the same problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it resolved. I remember trying all three of those solutions when I was having problems with my iMac running Lion. None of them worked. It wasn't until Apple specifically addressed the problem with a fix for the iMac that it finally worked. You'll notice that the links you went to are generic for all Macs not just the iMac.

Also take note that at the bottom of the page is a notice that Apple will finally fix it with OS X 10.8.1. Anyway, whatever works is good. Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.