• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A question about the Apple A1023 iSight webcam

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Update ..... After all that debating about which web cam to get, I got this one.

Apple isight webcam | eBay

It may not be the latest model but at least there is no faffing about. Just plug it in (with the firewire adapter in place) and off you go.
Thanks for all your help, guys.
Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nice that you got the original box & everything!:)

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and the Firewire 400 to 800 adapter was £5.29 from a company called Neet Cables.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and the Firewire 400 to 800 adapter was £5.29 from a company called Neet Cables.

That sounds MUCH better...and a price I would have much more expected. That other price for the adapter was insane!;)

Lots of folks on the internet selling low-cost (but still serviceable) cables & adapters. Sounds like you found such a place.:)

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The crazy thing is that if you look on the eBay.co.uk auction site you find examples of these adapters, identical in every way, both with free postage, and both being sold from England and one will cost £4.95 and one will cost anything up to £35.95. I'd love to know what the difference is supposed to be.

By the way, besides the little adapter to plug into the back of my Mac Mini, I also bought a 3 metre cable with a plug at one end that slots into my Firewire port and has a socket at the other end that accepts the 400 plug at the end of the camera lead.
All in all, a good couple of days, lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The crazy thing is that if you look on the eBay.co.uk auction site you find examples of these adapters, identical in every way, both with free postage, and both being sold from England and one will cost £4.95 and one will cost anything up to £35.95. I'd love to know what the difference is supposed to be.

No real explanations for the price differences/range. I see that sort of thing all the time. Just have to be a "savvy shopper" (research thoroughly before purchasing)...which you did.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.