Bit of an odd problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I've been having an issue that I don't quite understand. I have a third generation Airport Extreme setup as my main router with a second generation Airport Express used as a booster in my living room. I have Comcast triple play setup and I noticed whenever the phone rings it knocks my WiFi out. Does a VoIP setup somehow disrupt the internet connection when there's an incoming phone call? This doesn't happen with outgoing calls, but whenever the phone rings the orange light begins flashing on my Express behind the TV. The Extreme is the router that's hardwired to the modem. It's just a tad frustrating because most of the calls on my land line are solicitors whom I don't want to speak with, yet their calls still takeout my WiFi and usually screws up something I'm working on online or it'll screw up Netflix and I have to reboot my device for it to play properly again.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gigs Video, 24 gigs Ram, Yosemite 10.10.2
Is your land line cordless? It could be running at 2.4 or the 5 ghz band, same as your router. Some phones let you change the signal. I'm not an expert, but I had trouble with my link sys router when I had a land line doing the same thing. Knocking anything off wirelessly connected to the internet every time the phone rang.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Agreed on the phone, it's likely that which is causing you problems. Even some microwaves will mess up your WiFi signal..

Configure your network to a different channel and see if the issue persists..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.