Weird date/time error on my mid 2010 macbook pro

Reaction score
I move around my house with my computer, and I'd left the charger cable downstairs and forgot about the battery until it was at 1% and the trackpad was acting weird. So I closed it and went and grabbed the cable (standard course of action when there's a low battery for me) and instead of saving the state of the machine to memory it shut down and took maybe twice or three times as long as it usually takes to boot. When I'd loaded it and logged in, it told me that the date was before January 1, 2005 (Or a similar date, I don't remember, I closed the error box) and that this could cause errors. When I opened the date the date was set to December 31, 2000. I did some google searching and apparently it's a PRAM battery problem (whatever that is) that occurs in mid 2009 macbook pros. The warranty probably isn't still going because the trackpad is cracked (still works fine). So far I haven't discovered any other problems. I regularly discharge my battery close to 1% and sometimes it completely discharges if I don't plug it in fast enough, but I heard that doing this makes the battery last longer :/

I'm getting a new laptop next year, so having a few stupid errors isn't so bad, but is there anything I can do about this error so that it does not occur again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What specific year/notebook do you have and what version of OS X are you running on it? That'll help us to give you more specified help.

Did you reset the time and date in System Preferences yet? If so, has the time/date changed again?

Your notebook's battery will last longer if you keep it plugged in most of the time. It is good to fully discharge the battery once every 30 or 60 days, but not on a regular basis.

OP
A
Reaction score
What specific year/notebook do you have and what version of OS X are you running on it? That'll help us to give you more specified help.

Did you reset the time and date in System Preferences yet? If so, has the time/date changed again?

Your notebook's battery will last longer if you keep it plugged in most of the time. It is good to fully discharge the battery once every 30 or 60 days, but not on a regular basis.

It's a mid 2010 macbook (What it says in About This Mac) and I am running Lion. I've already reset the time in System Preferences. It has not changed back again.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ok, well hopefully it doesn't happen again. If it does, you can try resetting the PRAM but I'm not sure if that affects date/time. Give this KB a read and see if any of that info helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.