How to be a beta tester?

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new at this forum, but i have a lot of thinks to talk about haha.

Do you guys know if there is a program to be a beta test of Apple products? Or even Apps?

I know Android has something like Beta Testing, by Google Groups. Do you know if Apple has something similar?

It would be so cool! Try apps even before they are in the market!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You'd have to contact the developers and get them to provision your device to test apps. Unlike Android development, iOS beta testing is limited since you have to provision devices and Apple limits that number. Therefore, if you're interested in newer/beta versions of apps, you'll have to go straight to the developer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im a Beta Tester and have Beta Tested iOS6 and 7, Procreate, 1Password 4 for Mac, Pixel Press (still in the early Alpha stage) and ill be testing The Long Dark for Mac sometime next year, as well as the next upgrade of TextExpander by Smiles Software.
Its a matter of really getting into Social Networking, on FB and Twitter and following your favourite App, and then you get to know the Dev's and you follow them, and you just keep pushing, and pushing and pushing.
Thats what i did/do and thats really how im on the list for the next upgraded TextExpander. . . . You would be surprised at the amount of FREE Mac and iOS Apps i have got over the last 2 yrs. All in all, i have saved $300+
Emails back and forth and Twitter have been my best avenues as FB its out in the Open and i like to be behind closed doors.

Another way is to look at places like Kickstarter, Indiegogo and SellanApp . . . .
The first 2 are crowd funding places and if you back a iOS App or Mac App then they usually have a Beta Testing Pledge and you get in the door that way. Thats how i got Pixel Press and The Long Dark, and because of this, i have become friends with the Devs and ill be on future Beta Testing for other Apps now.

SellanApp is a little different but if you have a App idea, then you can put $ into that App and again, become friends with the Devs.
There is now easy way in, but just keep trying and as i said, if you have a favourite App, follow that App, and the Company on twitter and let them know your there to test if need be. If they are a successful company, then they will be making more Apps, which is more opportunities :)

Good Luck

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow! I am impressed TattooedMac, thank you for your answer.

But, do they even pay you for test apps? Or those 300$ are the money you have actually saved from buying them all?

Do you know if there's a community or something to test them? It seems really time-spending in looking for new apps and contacting with developers...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Beta testing is not something you can just jump into with platforms such as iOS (where application distribution is heavily controlled by Apple). You're going to have to actively seek this out - browse the developer's blog, contact them through their official communications channel, follow them on Twitter, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.