cut and paste

Reaction score
Hi, Safari will will no longer allow me to cut and paste.
Imac 210.5.8

I may have disabled it yesterday when i was into preferences.

I'm a senior, not to computer savvy, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What exactly are you trying to cut and paste while in Safari? Paste to where? There aren't many places while in a web browser like Safari that allow you to paste anything.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

I can not cut and paste anything, such as a link, or a quote or comment from an article etc. to respond or use it to make a comment to another.

Basically anything to anything.

I was in Safari preferences, and may have disabled something there.

OP
T
Reaction score
I should also say, i've never had any problem with a cut and paste using Safari before yesterday.

Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't know, i was in there for another reason that escapes me at the moment, and went through the preferences, and view, and it was after that when i noticed it.
It could even have happened before that.

I'm baffled, i've never had a problem cut and pasting in Safari before in all the years i've had my computer.

As i mentioned before, i'm a senior and have only been at this 5-6 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don't know, i was in there for another reason that escapes me at the moment, and went through the preferences, and view, and it was after that when i noticed it.
It could even have happened before that.

I'm baffled, i've never had a problem cut and pasting in Safari before in all the years i've had my computer.

As i mentioned before, i'm a senior and have only been at this 5-6 years.

Hi Terry - first, I'm assuming that by 'Preferences' you mean in Safari (and not System Preferences); second, I would probably just 'Force Close' Safari and then launch it again - might work? (if not familiar w/ the process, just click the Apple in the upper left top menu > Force Quit > Select Safari). Your could also 'Reset Safari' (main menu option in the app) - of course, you would lose items but a list will pop-up and you can deselect those you do not want deleted. I'll stop there just to see if either of these steps will help - good luck! :) Dave

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thank you for your response.

Just got home and i tried the force quit, got it back from the apps and still have the same problem.
I'm assuming the main option in the apps is just the standard procedure to retrieve any app.

I believe i was into both Safari and apple.

Thanks
Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two things you can try:

In the Safair menu at the upper left, choose Reset Safari... click all the boxes except passwords, then click Reset.

To restore Safari preferences to the original default, you have to delete com.apple.safari.plist which is found in your User Library's Preferences folder. Drag that file out of there to your Desktop and reopen Safari. If you're fine with the result, you can delete the file you removed, because there will be a new one created in Preferences.

In 10.5.8, you'll find the above folder down this path:

HD(whatever you named it)/Users/You(whatever you chose to name your user folder)/Library/Preferences

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you toMACsh,

I presented the problem to a friend of mine, and he suggested that when i highlight what is to be pasted, right click then choose copy.
From there i go to where i want it to place it, left click in the space i want it to go, then simply right click and choose paste.

I tried it when i got home home and it worked perfectly.

Before, all i had to do was drag it over and place it and it would work, and that's what failed me.

When he attempted the drag method this on his imac, his curser was highlighted by a green mark, and he could simply drag it over and it worked fine.

My curser does not have that green mark when dragging it over, and that may be my problem.

Just out of curiosity, when you attempt the drag process on your computer does it have the green highlight on the curser?

Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you toMACsh,

Just out of curiosity, when you attempt the drag process on your computer does it have the green highlight on the curser?

Thanks again. :)

You're welcome.
You caught me on a Monday. Bad. I check the forum at lunch from work. No Mac. I don't have the time at home to check in here on weeknights, only on Saturday and Sunday.

But, it almost sounds like a System User Interface glitch. The plist file for that is com.apple.systemuiserver.plist, if I recall correctly. Again, not at a Mac to be able to check. But it would be the same drill as in my other post for the Safari plist file.

M

MacInWin

On my MBP, ML 10.8.5, latest Safari, if I highlight text anywhere, then drag it, all that drags is the text, no box, no green thing. And it's a bit sensitive to dragging. Sometimes it just starts highlighting other stuff instead of dragging. I use CMD-C to copy, CMD-V to paste. It's more reliable than drag/drop for me. Highlight what to copy, CMD-c to copy, move to target, CMD-V to paste.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.