Is it possible to install a cd/dvd/burner/player with a ssd?

Reaction score
I just bought a used macbook pro 17" that someone took out the superdrive and installed a 250G SSD. I like the option of burning or playing a cd or dvd and don't want to get an external drive unless I have to. Is it possible to install a cd/dvd/burner/player with a ssd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Yes, you can reinstall the superdrive. You would then have to remove the SSD and swap for the original HDD. This would only leave you a 250GB SSD boot drive. To compensate you could replace that with a larger SSD, such as from the Crucial M500 range, either a 480GB or 960GB SSD. Lots of additional expense. Alternatively, use a compact external DVD writer when you need to burn a CD/DVD. You can't have internally the original HDD, the SSD and a superdrive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, you can reinstall the superdrive. You would then have to remove the SSD and swap for the original HDD. This would only leave you a 250GB SSD boot drive. To compensate you could replace that with a larger SSD, such as from the Crucial M500 range, either a 480GB or 960GB SSD. Lots of additional expense. Alternatively, use a compact external DVD writer when you need to burn a CD/DVD. You can't have internally the original HDD, the SSD and a superdrive.

What about just the SSD and a superdrive internally?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What techiesteve is saying is that you can't have the SSD, DVD, and hard drive all installed internally. You can have two of the three installed. You can have the SSD and DVD installed but may find the 250 GB of space a bit limited.

OP
B
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks to you guys that replied. You've been a big help. I'm not a techie, so any guidance is greatly appreciated. Any cost effective DVD/CD burners that will fit internally in my macbook pro 17" 2011 that anyone can suggest?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Probably need to pick up the phone and call OWC to see if they have anything that will fit in the unibody model.

A good external will likely be half the price of any internal you can find.
And you won't have to worry about the death rate of slot loaders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.