The Folder Called "Other"

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Here is an oddity I have observed since installing Mountain Lion. I dont use Launch Pad a lot but the other day I wanted to launch Keychain so I hit Launchpad and went looking for the Utilities folder but could not find it. Then I noticed a folder called Other. On opening it I found all my Utilities. So being curious I opened a finder window, went to Applications, scrolled down and there and behold is the familiar folder with the spanner and screwdriver icon and it's called Utilities. How can the name be different in Launchpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
You can change the name of any folder, if you want, so just rename the folder, "Utilities" if it bothers you.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The file called "Other"

It doesn't "bother' me as you put it MacShane, I simply don't understand why it doesn't reflect the folder name in the finder. This is a file name conflict. The launcher should display the file names in the finder. If not then applications in the Launcher might say anything, Microsoft Word might be called Blurb etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
I guess I understand what you're saying, but Launch Pad and Finder operate independently of one another. Launch Pad is just applying a name it finds appropriate. I believe it was just integrated in to OSX as a convenience for those who are used to Apple's mobile devices. I really don't find it that useful. What really matters to me is that files and applications are named appropriately in Finder (as you said, it was). I personally don't care that much about Launch Pad, but I did rename my Other folder, since you mentioned it.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi McShane, yes I did the same thing, interesting though, I thought it might cause an indexing problem and I'm sure this was not the case in Lion. Still I agree it's about mobile device integration, after installing iOS7 on my iPhone I noted that a number of "like" applications had been put into folders and named according to type eg. "Broadcast Media" I gather that the App Store applies these names according to thier description/classification of the app but it seems able to classify some third party apps as well eg HP products apps and utilities.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It used to have all those apps and utilities in the Utilities folder but I think around ML the Other showed up with some installs here. I usually just drag it all back to Utilities or you could rename it like was suggested.

Not sure why Apple did that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.