iMAC 27" - fan works or doesn't work?

Reaction score
Hi, I had 2 iMac in this past 10 years, the first one was a 21" PowerPC, I used this computer for about 7 years and then started to have problems with the display (big dark spots on the corners) it was a capacitor issue on the motherboard, they were too hot, in the meantime I bought a new brand iMac 27" and stopped using the 21" iMac, on the first year of using my new iMac I could see black spots on the screen (yes, again, in my new one!) so brought the iMac to Apple store and they had to replace the screen, after a couple of months the black spots appeared up again!! I'm just curious and here I go with the question:

Couple of days ago I turned on my old iMac (21") and for some reason on the top back of the computer the fan started to "work" and when I put my hand I could feel the fresh air coming out from the computer, heavy air and fan quite noisy, then I turned off the computer and never used again. The million dollar question is, should this fan had to work at all time? I mean, that might be why the capacitors had problems so the spots on the screen, I'm having same issue with the new 27", in this 3 past year I never heard a fan and if I put my hand on the back there is not air coming out at all, nothing, is this normal? the computer sometimes is quite warm/hot, should this fan has to be working for this occasion? (when the back is hot) I'm very worried if this next years using it I'll have same issue with the capacitors, ie I can see some spots spread on top of the screen, the guys in Apple CS said it was a humidity issue (unfortunately my guaranty expired few months ago) but I'm not asking about the black spots but if it is ok that I shouldn't hear any fan working nor air coming out from the top-back of the computer. :\ Thank you in advance

iMac 27" 3.06 intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram OS 10.6.8

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iMac is OK. The fans (it has three fans) are near silent. All you should hear is a slight whisper sound. Cool air is drawn in through the bottom vents and warm air is expelled from top vents. Normal thermal convection cooling.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your iMac is OK. The fans (it has three fans) are near silent. All you should hear is a slight whisper sound. Cool air is drawn in through the bottom vents and warm air is expelled from top vents. Normal thermal convection cooling.

thank you!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.