Mac book running slow, stuttering etc

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a macbook pro, osx version 10.6.8. Its beginning to think longer, stutter here and there, play youtube videos more slowly or freeze the viedeo while the audio continues, tell me Safari has quit, and most recently tells me a usb device is using too much power and is being disconnected.. etc. Not excessively, but plenty I guess. Does anyone have any advice? do I need to take material off the drive? Im not sure how to check available memory. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like hard drive problems. How full is the drive? Check this, not memory, by going into 'About this Mac' > SATA and see what is available. If more than 20% is available as free space, boot from the Snow Leopard OS X.6 DVD, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk and se what is reported.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you Harry.

I have ata and serial ata, is that what you mean?
and I see this:
Capacity: 249.72 GB (249,715,376,128 bytes)
Available: 132.84 GB (132,844,437,504 bytes)

so I guess dump snow leopard from DVD, not sure what you mean there??

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh I see what you wrote, but still not sure how to boot from the dvd? Or even if I have it..... :/

Reaction score
Thank you Harry.

I have ata and serial ata, is that what you mean?
and I see this:
Capacity: 249.72 GB (249,715,376,128 bytes)
Available: 132.84 GB (132,844,437,504 bytes)

so I guess dump snow leopard from DVD, not sure what you mean there??

this doesn't sound to me as if a full HDD is the issue..

1. i'd recommend running Disk Utility (and Repair Permissions) - - that can make a world of difference.

2. you MIGHT need to add RAM (what's the system's configuration)??

OP
M
Reaction score
well right now its repairing permissions.. says 1 hr 9 mins..... So maybe thats it.

Is system profiler on "about this mac"?

Reaction score
i have a similar problem but for me it only happens when i plug my external hard drive in & it just started this week..its so bad that on occasion ive had to do a "hard" shut down because it wont even restart.. im running snow leopard also & have 159gb & 69gb available...thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well OP you need the Snow Leopard DVD.

Pop it in, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime. Leave the Installer and go to Utilities in the Menu bar and select Disk Utility > Repair Disk. One cannot repair the a drive the computer is booted from. Apple Online Stores still sell Snow Leopard OS X.6 for $20 including pasturage.

Reaction score
thanks

thats the same message i got when i tried to verify the disk..i ll give it a shot now thanks

Reaction score
thank you

Well OP you need the Snow Leopard DVD.

Pop it in, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime. Leave the Installer and go to Utilities in the Menu bar and select Disk Utility > Repair Disk. One cannot repair the a drive the computer is booted from. Apple Online Stores still sell Snow Leopard OS X.6 for $20 including pasturage.

thank you so much..followed your advice to the letter & its running like a top once again with my external hd hooked up..thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great!

Pleased you understood the 'pasturage' which should of course been 'postage'!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.