Type hard to read on 32" HDTV

Reaction score
I just bought Apples wireless keyboard and I'm in love so now I can use my computer from the comfort of my bed and have a nice big display to look at. My problem is, the type I'm having to read is just too small for my eyes and sometimes its like trying to read one of those eye charts at the doctors :\ haha. I have my display resolution set at 720P as thats what my TV is capable. Is there anyway I can make it all easier to read so i don't have to zoom in on the webpage?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there anyway I can make it all easier to read so i don't have to zoom in on the webpage?

Not without changing the native resolution of the HDTV - which will cause distortion. Continue zooming or move closer to the display. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can try Safari - Preferences - Advanced - Put a check in "Never use font sizes smaller than" and adjust that to suit your taste. I'd suggest starting off at 14, then try 18.

Word of warning - some sites will not play nice with the larger fonts.

OP
J
Reaction score
You can try Safari - Preferences - Advanced - Put a check in "Never use font sizes smaller than" and adjust that to suit your taste. I'd suggest starting off at 14, then try 18.

Word of warning - some sites will not play nice with the larger fonts.

Awesome. Hopefully a little tinkering will do the trick. Thanks!:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't fool with Safari trying to get it to display larger fonts. Without using a zoom style sheet, Safari will not behave itself and will always return back to using smaller fonts. If you use extra large fonts, it will result in distortion or overlapping.

Safari is also a memory hog. (But that's another story.)

Use Chrome instead. You can set Chrome's default zoom level to almost any percentage and it will remain locked without distortion. Firefox will also keep its zoom level locked although not quite as good as Chrome.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you run into a site where the wording overlaps itself, just head back in and uncheck it while you're on that particular site.

You might also try the other browsers chscag mentions and see if they'll work better for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.