Two routers?

Reaction score
WiFi Radar reports two wireless routers where I only have one (same name, different signal strengths - Airport Extreme 7.6.4). Is this important? What might be going on?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your Airport Extreme is a dual band router, so it supports a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network for different devices..that's what WiFi Radar is likely picking up..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
WiFi Radar reports two wireless routers where I only have one (same name, different signal strengths - Airport Extreme 7.6.4). Is this important? What might be going on?

My Airport Extreme produces 4 networks - my protected one & my guest one - and two for each of those w/ a bandwidth of 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz - i.e. 2 names only - assume that may be the issue; if not please post back. Dave :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh good point RadDave, I forgot about the guest network..it's some combination of this..

I've had to disable the guest network on my AE since it's a slave to the Verizon router..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh good point RadDave, I forgot about the guest network..it's some combination of this..

I've had to disable the guest network on my AE since it's a slave to the Verizon router..

Hi - believe that we were posting @ the same minute & you won out! I just have the one router and have had a few guests use that account (it's also protected but w/ a different PW) - Dave :)

OP
John F
Reaction score
Many thanks. It is interesting that even in this rural area with houses set well apart (up the coast from Vancouver) I am picking up nine wireless networks. In England where I spend part of the year, the houses are made of stone and a WiFi signal barely makes it into the next room.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The latest wireless routers use multiple antennas and the higher bands actually go farther than before, so you're bound to see a lot more routers than before..

In apartment buildings this actually causes a lot of problem because you've got to deal with interference from all the routers operating in the same space, and there are only so many channels to choose from..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks. It is interesting that even in this rural area with houses set well apart (up the coast from Vancouver) I am picking up nine wireless networks. In England where I spend part of the year, the houses are made of stone and a WiFi signal barely makes it into the next room.

Hi John - yep, I'm in a neighborhood where the houses are at least several hundred feet apart, but using a program called Wi-Fi Explorer on my MBPro, I pick up 4 additional broadcasting routers (other than my 4 - see screen shot below - I've blank out some info) - I can't imagine being in an inner city apartment complex (not made w/ stone walls) what would show up! BOY, and how many would be unprotected - scary! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 8.31.55 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.