M. Outlook 2011 wants to download 3,500 emails

Reaction score
My Outlook wants to download 3,500 emails all of a sudden. I tried rebuilding the database but it still wants to download them all. What should I do please? (Microsoft Outlook 2011, Mountain Lion Macbook Air)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Download from where? Is it configured to use POP or IMAP? Are these messages that weren't downloaded before?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have a POP account. These are old messages from outlook. I stop them as soon as I see them coming. Paul

Reaction score
Is there a setting in Outlook that says "Leave messages on server" or somesuch?
Might want to un-check it. You'll still download them but then if you delete them they'll be gone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A better action would be to access your mail account directly at the server and remove the mail from there. (If desired.) As member cradom points out you may be leaving your mail on the server after it's downloaded. I do that also as a backup for my mail in case I should lose a particular mail item. However, you do need to access your account on the server every so often and clean it out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for very prompt advice.

I can't find anything about leaving messages on the server in Outlook, but I like to keep a backup there in any case.

I don't understand what you mean by 'cleaning out the server'.

I have fortunately found a backup of the database on Time Machine just three days old and have defaulted to that as it looks like it could be a difficult problem.

Many thanks for both of your assistance.

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My Outlook wants to download 3,500 emails all of a sudden. I tried rebuilding the database but it still wants to download them all. What should I do please? (Microsoft Outlook 2011, Mountain Lion Macbook Air)

I have this happen occasionally on my computers with my various e-mail accounts. I believe that it's simply a rebuild of the e-mail database (saved old e-mails).

I have had this happen on a computer that is "new to me" with a fresh install of the OS & e-mail apps. And on existing/established computers (from time to time).

Plus if Outlook was freshly installed on an established computer...it would be necessary to rebuild the e-mail database. Otherwise immediate access to older/saved e-mails would not be possible.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't understand what you mean by 'cleaning out the server'.

By leaving your email messages on the server, they will soon accumulate to the point where it will be difficult to find anything in case you do need to find something as a backup.

What I suggested above is to access your account on the server and go thru your messages and remove the ones you no longer need or perhaps are out of date.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone! I had forgotten to mention that I had of course tried rebuilding the database and I tried that several times but it had no effect. Anyway all's well that ends well. Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.