Windows 8 will not sleep when I close my MacBook Pro lid... black screen

Reaction score
I have a the last version of the 17" MacBook Pro model with the following specs:

Windows 8 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.40 GHz
16GB RAM

I have from what I can tell everything working perfectly fine with the exception of the laptop properly going to sleep when I close the lid. I installed the Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033 and also updated the AMD Radeon HD 6700M drivers to get the video card working properly.

When I close the lid... the machine will seemingly "sleep" but it will not wake. The screen stays black and I have to shut it off completely and back on. I miss being abel to just close the lid when I need to and then just pick up where I left off.

Anyone else have this issue with Windows 8? Searching the web shows no results - I assume someone else has had this issue. Thanks for any feedback or thoughts you may have.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can suggest is to check the power saver settings for your MacBook Pro. Not the OS X settings, but the settings from the Windows 8 Control Panel. Not sure what Windows 8 calls those settings as I do not have a machine with Windows 8 installed.

OP
J
Reaction score
I went over those settings... but that is not the issue... it seems to freeze when sleeping and you cannot wake it back up. That is what I am not sure about.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
it seems to freeze when sleeping and you cannot wake it back up

The next thing I would look at is if the video driver you're using is the correct one for your machine. You mentioned you updated the AMD Radeon HD 6700M driver in order to get the video card working properly. You might want to experiment a bit more to see if perhaps a different version of the driver is better suited. I know it's a pain having to fool with drivers but I suspect that may be your problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Genius! I rolled back the driver to the one that I got with the Boot Camp software and I am back in business! Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize the video card would make such a difference! Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good news! Video drivers are usually suspect when odd things occur in Windows like freezing or poor power saving features (not sleeping, etc.). I don't know why Windows is so fussy and OS X is so elegant. That's why we love our Macs. Anyway, glad you're back in business. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.