Reaction score
just installed skype on my macpro and macbook pro. problem im having is connecting between them. keeps asking for a credit. not sure but was under the impression that connecting from one computer to another was free with skype, as long as both had skype. end up using face time. is skype just hype. is skype just another program that only wants money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can audio and video chat between multiple Macs/PCs/Smartphones etc using Skype. It's all free.

The only time you pay is if you want to content to a 'real' landline or mobile over the phone network.

What exactly are you trying to do and how?

OP
H
Reaction score
trying to connect from my macpro desktop to my macbook pro. ill have both on but it will say the other is off line, even though both have skype logged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you using two different Skype IDs? Are you trying audio or video? Are both able to make the test call successfully?

OP
H
Reaction score
yes. now both say the other is online. but when sending a call nothing. like i said im doing something wrong. thought i could just hit the video call and if the other was online it would ring, get notification, and id answer and see the person and be able to talk to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry but it would really help if you could answer the questions:
1.Are you using two different Skype IDs?
2. Are you trying audio or video?
3. Are both able to make the test call successfully on both?
4. Can you send messages to each other over Skype?
5. Have you rebooted since installing?

OP
H
Reaction score
yes to all. even though are online it will say the other is offline and do i want to leave a video message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you send a message from the MacPro to the MBP. On the popup that appears when you send a message there's a Call button. What happens when you hit that? Any error messages, dial tones etc?

On both switch your status from online to offline to invisible to online again. Then repeat the above

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the upload speed of your internet connection. I wander is the bandwidth isn't enough to sustain two video streams.

Does audio work?

OP
H
Reaction score
im thinking the same thing but not sure. did finally get it to work, worked great then froze then worked again.

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 6.53.03 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a borderline connection for a single video call let alone two. You may get audio working more reliably.

If the long term goal is to get video chat working over LAN then I'd look to a different solution. If this is just setup and you'll be 'Skyping' from different locations you'll probably be ok.

OP
H
Reaction score
well i cant figure out what im doing wrong. my desktop shows that my wifes computer, and her, are online, hers shows that im online, i video call and nothing, it just rings and rings and rings on the computer im sending from but no notice on the other that a incoming call is there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's all down to strong, reliable bandwidth. Can you take the macbook to another location (a friends network, coffee shop etc) and try then. This will take the dual load of your network and help prove if the skype setup is actually working

OP
H
Reaction score
think your right. did get it working again and it worked fine. its my internet service. its a joke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
I don't mean to be flippant but we have a much better system than using Skype when I'm trying to pass messages to my wife if she is in the dining room using her computer and I am in the living room using mine.
I just shout ...... "Oy, Slapper. Put the kettle on."
We love each other really, lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.