Way too Much "Other" Memory taken on iPhone 5S with iOS 7.0.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP w/Retina 2.6 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, (Feb 2013 version), 256 SSD & iPhone 5S 64GB, unlocked (& insured).
Anyone know why I have 7.5 GB of "Other" space on my iPhone? I've tried fresh restores multiple times. and I'm not synching iPhoto, or anything. I've also turned off photos sharing and removed as many apps as I can that I think have added data to memory, and still nothing. Oh... and I've done a clean restore, and setting up as a new phone about 5 times now. I've got 414 apps installed, and about 5227 songs on my iphone. I've had to resort to 192 kbs for song quality, which I don't want to do. But it's the only way I get my whole library on my phone. I work in a place that the iCloud Match doesn't work so well, hence I need to load all my music.

Any suggestions on what I should check next?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 7.45.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 7.45.17 AM.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12"
Do you have any apps witch save documents? Possibility there. I had that question since my first iPhone.

M

MacInWin

How do you sync? I've noticed that syncing by WiFi instead of USB cable seems to increase the Other space. You might try connecting to your MBP with USB and syncing that way to see if it helps.

EDIT: What I think is in Other is failed downloads and file transfers plus some cached data. The incomplete files don't get completed and just eat up space. At least that's what I've seen in searching the Internet.

SECOND EDIT: At the iTunes App Store I found a product called iClean for $2.99 that seems to do what you may need. It got pretty good reviews, and some awful ones (Pretty polarized) but I didn't try it myself. No endorsement here, just a result of some searching!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Look into apps that may save data. For instance, I have the Garmin Navigation app and the maps that I download to the device go into the "other" category. So an app that may save data will repopulate the other field when you do the restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.