20" iMac G5 or iMac intel??

M

macinwyo

I'm going to get either the new intel iMac or the G5. Right now I have a Titanium G4 powerbook, with only 10Gigs.
Here's what I'm wondering.
should I get the intel now or should I get the G5, and in a while (1-2 years), get the intel for the office and take the G5 home?
I run Adobe and Microsoft office mostly.

Part of me wants to be one of the first ones with an intel iMac, but the other part wants to wait to make sure there are no hiccups with an intel.

any info is greatly appreciated.
mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Well, the word is that Adobe won't be releasing their products for Intel Macs until 2007, although they do run through Rosetta (Photoshop and all that). Office runs fine on the Intel Macs and supposedly there is an Intel version of that coming soon too. There are hiccups already with the Intel platform; Apple even admitted to having video problems with their new iMacs. If you don't mind waiting, I'd say wait for rev. B of the Intel models.

Reaction score
that is great info.. not that they're waiting that long.. but its good to have an idea.. in that case.. i would go with the G5

Reaction score
Reaction score
I would have to seriously dis-agree with everyone here, if you into protecting your initial investment dont bother getting the G5. I have owned both machines and to be honest i can see no reason not to go for the Intel. As long as you go for 1Gb of ram an Intel machine will be on par with the G5 and in some areas some way better. The arguement you need to apply is the same as if you bought a new car....Would you buy a new Jaguar Xk8 when the new Xk has just been launched. If it was the same price and the new car had some significant improvements then you would go for the newer model.

Some people seem to be scare mongering about the Intel machine but they are a real improvement over the G5 , I mean if you want to add another screen in the future the G5 has no dual screen support and my Intel runs far quieter than the G5 ever did.

I have a funny feeling that the Adobe news is unofficial and that Apple being the super tacticians they are will have aided Adobe to release the Cs suite ready for there new Ibooks say by around May.

Go Intel....its the future.

Reaction score
Oh and in a quick replay to the Video issues they only effect the 20 inch 256mb video versions and is down to the gui translations which can be fixed with a simple software update!

Office on my 17 inch Intel with 1GB also flies like poop off a teflon shovel!

Think of the intel macs as a golden hen, when they start laying the golden eggs in terms of universal pro apps and mainstream game support you can bet there will be a sudden migration to the platform!

My two pennies worth!

Reaction score
Does the 1GB make a big speed difference over 512MB (which mine comes with)?

and would I dare installing it myself or how would I go about this?

ive installed and built pcs from scratch for pc, but never dealt with a mac or an all-in-one computer before.

Reaction score
It is so easy, under the bottom is a small cover which is held in place by 2 philips screws, unscrewing them removes the ocver which gives you access to a vacant slot and you just push it in, matching up the slot and remember the inside will have a notch to match the gap on the memory.

put the screws back in the cover and reboot.....and its done! In most cases you can though just order the unit with more memory!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
thadoggfather said:
Does the 1GB make a big speed difference over 512MB (which mine comes with)?

and would I dare installing it myself or how would I go about this?

ive installed and built pcs from scratch for pc, but never dealt with a mac or an all-in-one computer before.

I have mixed feelings about ram for Macs. When I've upgraded the ram in my Windows computers, it has made a significant performance increase, but when I upgraded my G4 Cube from 576mb to 1.5gb, I hardly saw any difference. Of course, that could be because the ram is limited to pc100 speeds and the processor I've got in there now is only 450mhz. From what I've read, OS X likes a minimum of 512mb and prefers 1gb to speed things along nicely. If you can afford an upgrade to a gig or more, I'd suggest doing it.

If you've built PCs before, you obviously like challenges. One of the reasons I got my G4 Cube was because everything is all crammed together in a tight little cube that makes upgrading a bit more difficult. It's nice to have a bit of a challenge ;) Just make sure you buy Mac-compatible ram, like from Crucial.com or MacSales.com. If you can build a PC you can easily upgrade a Mac.

Oh and here's a link to Apple's guide for upgrading the Early 2006 iMacs:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

OP
A

ankushpatel

dual core problems and bad reviews

Hey,

Id go with a normal powerpc imac g5, there are some issues with the dual core.

OP
A

ankushpatel

kaidomac said:
I have mixed feelings about ram for Macs. When I've upgraded the ram in my Windows computers, it has made a significant performance increase, but when I upgraded my G4 Cube from 576mb to 1.5gb, I hardly saw any difference. Of course, that could be because the ram is limited to pc100 speeds and the processor I've got in there now is only 450mhz. From what I've read, OS X likes a minimum of 512mb and prefers 1gb to speed things along nicely. If you can afford an upgrade to a gig or more, I'd suggest doing it.

If you've built PCs before, you obviously like challenges. One of the reasons I got my G4 Cube was because everything is all crammed together in a tight little cube that makes upgrading a bit more difficult. It's nice to have a bit of a challenge ;) Just make sure you buy Mac-compatible ram, like from Crucial.com or MacSales.com. If you can build a PC you can easily upgrade a Mac.

Oh and here's a link to Apple's guide for upgrading the Early 2006 iMacs:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

- Well apple apps are said to take up less RaM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.