Problems Opening Larger PDF Files in Safari on IPAD 2??

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a newb here, and I am turning to the forum for some help. I have an Ipad 2, I'm up to date on IOS 7. I have a dropbox account and I have a few large (150+mb) PDF files stored in dropbox. I have tried to download these PDF's files, but all that happens is a separate tab open, the bar starts loading, but after a few moment, it closes safari and returns to the HOME screen.

When I re-open Safari, it is still on the tab, trying to open the PDF file and after a few moments, kicks out again to the HOME screen. Rinse and repeat several more times...

I load the file on my PC to Google Drive. I attempted to open the PDF via Google Drive and get the same exact result.

I have downloaded PDF files from the dropbox that are less than 75mb and they will open just fine.

My ipad has opened this saem exact files several months ago, but was doing the same thing prior to the iOS 7 update.

does anyone know what's going on here??

Thank you ALL for your time.

S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Crimso - welcome to MacForums! :)

I also own an iPad 2 and usually read my PDF files in iBooks or GoodReader - not sure that you have these on your device but a consideration; however, first and if not already done, I would 'Reset' the iPad (directions below if not familiar w/ the maneuver) and try again.

The other concern is that the files mentioned cannot be opened on either your iOS device or on your Windows computer - have you opened these large PDFs before? If not, then you might consider faulty PDFs - just saying? But, let us know if any of the above helps; if not, then post back - good luck! Dave

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
C
Reaction score
thank you!

I have opened the files on both Windows and on my Ipad in the Past. They currently open both from my Hardrive and from Dropbox on my PC, no problem. Again, I would stress that smaller files (less than 50mb PDF's) open without incident. I have 3GB of storage available on my iPad.

I have turned off my Ipad and turned it back on several times, including my last attempt today. Is this the same as restarting?

Lastly, I read my PDF's via iBooks. However, I usually have to open them in safari, then I open them in ibooks once they have loaded on safari in order to retain/download them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
thank you!
I have opened the files on both Windows and on my Ipad in the Past. They currently open both from my Hardrive and from Dropbox on my PC, no problem. Again, I would stress that smaller files (less than 50mb PDF's) open without incident. I have 3GB of storage available on my iPad.

Well, not sure what size iPad you own, i.e. 16, 32, or 64 GB, but on a regular computer I like to keep 15-20% of 'free' storage (not sure if that is a good recommendation for the iPad), but 3 GB may be getting a little low? If you can remove some larger files & increase your storage, might be worth a try.

I have turned off my Ipad and turned it back on several times, including my last attempt today. Is this the same as restarting?

A 'Reset' is as described in my quote - requires simultaneous pressing of BOTH the Power & Home buttons until the iPad reboots (don't stop when the slider appears) - may take 10 seconds or more - please give this another try and then re-test.

Lastly, I read my PDF's via iBooks. However, I usually have to open them in safari, then I open them in ibooks once they have loaded on safari in order to retain/download them.

Not sure why you need the extra step - when I pick a PDF file in my Dropbox app on the iPad, the choice is offered to just open in iBooks or in GoodReader - curious?

But try the 'Reset' again & possibly increasing your storage - good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
RESOLUTION: smallpdf.com

I have a dropbox account and I have a few large (150+mb) PDF files stored in dropbox.

I have downloaded PDF files from the dropbox that are less than 75mb and they will open just fine.

Hi.. Yes, I have a Fix for this! Just wanted to share this with everyone since the other two answers might lead people astray. This seems really silly to me that iPads should struggle so much to open a simple pdf file but the "workaround" is to shrink those large pdf files.

Just go to smallpdf.com and choose compress pdf. From there it's pretty self explanatory. You can also do it from the Preview that is native to Mac OS's. But I've found that you lose too much quality that way. Hope this helps.

Best,

Oak

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Here's another option for you which won't require you to modify your PDFs. Use the Dropbox app. I've just tested downloading a 157MB PDF from my Dropbox using the app on my iPhone and it worked fine.

I find Safari to be a poor choice for downloading large files in general. If I need to download large PDFs on my iPad I usually use GoodReader and it seems more robust too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.