Widgets for home screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
Does iOS (or iOS7) have widget choices for the home screen that include Android style "time/date/wether" widgets? Are there 3rd party companies making them? Love to get the iPad 5 looking like an Android tablet with a "time/date/weather" widget. I know iOS7 has a "time/date" widget. We've seen that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, the iOS homescreen is "static" in that what you've got is what you'll ever have.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
That's a shame. I wonder how long Apple will hold onto this design philosophy. Limiting or not allowing customizability. The longer they wait the more market share Samsung will gain around the world. It's amazing to me how Apple still manages to sell their iPhones/iPads based on a strong fan base...which I think is dwindling. Has to be. We're all techies. We don't want to be limited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That's a shame. I wonder how long Apple will hold onto this design philosophy. Limiting or not allowing customizability. The longer they wait the more market share Samsung will gain around the world. It's amazing to me how Apple still manages to sell their iPhones/iPads based on a strong fan base...which I think is dwindling. Has to be. We're all techies. We don't want to be limited.

I know. How many new 5s and 5c iPhones did Apple sell just in the first weekend last month? A few hundred? No, it was a little more than that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would say with record sales not that many people care and it seems lately for every tweaker they lose they gain 3 that don't care.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We're all techies. We don't want to be limited.
"We" is rather limited - most people aren't as technically inclined as many of us might be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Instead of trying to get an iPad to work like Android, why don't you just stick with Android? Not everyone who uses tablets or smartphones is a "techie". In fact, one reason why iPhones and iPads are selling so well is because regular, everyday people are finding iOS to be intuitive and usable. Even as a "techie", I'm more concerned with how easy something is to use than customization in the form of widgets.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even as a "techie", I'm more concerned with how easy something is to use than customization in the form of widgets.

Well said, I agree. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Its only a certain Generation of us that want customisation and that doesnt include me. But as said above, the record sales, seems to be that people DONT want customisation, and just want a device that does what the iPhone's do. Calls, Txt's, and Apps that help in there every day life.
My mother came to visit a while ago, and i had a look and play with her HTC ONE and to be honest, you HAD to customise it to be able to do anything, (from what i saw) and i have better use of time than to try and make a screen pretty when
1. Its to my ear and cant see it,
2. Its in my pocket and i cant see it,
3. Im using a App and i cant see the screen,
4. Its on charge overnight while im asleep and i cant see the screen.

Seems i dont need customisation ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Its to my ear and cant see it,
2. Its in my pocket and i cant see it,
3. Im using a App and i cant see the screen,
4. Its on charge overnight while im asleep and i cant see the screen.

If only it were as simple as you say Brent. This current younger generation is (are) glued to their smartphones. They're either playing games on the things or texting like crazy (some of them while driving).

Was in my doctor's office the other day undergoing the usual long wait even after having an appointment, and I was the only one who brought a magazine to read (MacWorld of course). Everyone else including the old codgers were playing on their smart phones.

Even the zombies we have in Washington DC who are supposed to be our congress are on their smartphones all the time! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
iOS7 kinda has this already..

Main screen shows Time and Date. Simple downward swipe shows your calendar events, date, time and weather. Plus you can add more to it from the control panel.

iOS devices are designed to be sleek and elegant. Now while I totally understand the want to change things, they are not marketed to those who wish to do so. They are more for those who want a solid, interface that is ready to go.

That being said. I dont see any reason you cant build an App with the development tools to do something like this. They are free download off the App Store.

Now I am wanting to spruce up my desktop with Geek Tools. But I downloaded it months ago and still havent bothered. LOL.. I did however disable Dashboard and I dont understand what the heck its for yet..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If only it were as simple as you say Brent. This current younger generation is (are) glued to their smartphones. They're either playing games on the things or texting like crazy (some of them while driving).

I knoe exactly where your coming from. My partners oldest 2 have smart phones, and they are forever on it, actually i dont see their head in the upright position unless they are putting food into their mouth. I have on many occasions held, 'SHUT THE BLOODY FRIDGE' while they stand there for 2 minutes Snap Chatting hahaha

Now I am wanting to spruce up my desktop with Geek Tools. But I downloaded it months ago and still havent bothered. LOL.. I did however disable Dashboard and I dont understand what the heck its for yet..

Im like you, and in all honesty, the very first thing i do when i put a new system on a Mac, or buy a new one, is open Terminal and
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
;) I hate Dashboard and Widgets, but i had a thing for Geektool and set my desktop up, then came to a clean install and i haven't delved back into it again . . . You can have some fun with it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.